Monday, March 12, 2012

Kale Quinoa Quiche

So I've been having this goal to start blogging again, and what better way to do that than start with food?  Food is always good, right?  Kale season is in full swing here, and while I don't have any in my garden this year, my friend has plenty in hers, so I still get to eat some when I feel like it.  Yum!  I've also been wanting to explore the many ways of quinoa goodness.  What better way than to combine the two?  I got the inspiration for the following recipe here, and changed it up just a bit to fit what ingredients I had on hand.  It turned out delicious! Even Bryan ate some, which is saying something.  He generally turns down anything green...


You need:
1/2 cup quinoa
1 cup water
some olive oil
1 bunch kale - about 6-10 leaves, depending on size
half a white onion
1 clove garlic
1/2 cup shredded cheese, I used a Mexican blend
1/2 cup half & half
5 eggs
salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease 9" pie dish and set aside. Put quinoa in a sieve and rinse (the grains are very small, so get a fine mesh). Combine quinoa and water in a small pan and bring to boil. Cover pot, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes.
2. While quinoa is cooking, dice onion and take stems off kale and chop.  Heat olive oil in pan, add onion, and cook for a couple of minutes until onion starts to caramelize.  Add chopped kale (make sure you use a large pan, as there is quite a lot of kale!).  Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.  Mince and add clove of garlic, and cook one more minute.  Remove mixture from heat.
3. While the kale is cooling, mix eggs and half & half in a bowl until well combined, add some salt and pepper.
4. Add egg mixture to kale mixture, and stir until well combined.  Stir in cooked quinoa and cheese at this point, as well.  
5. Pour mixture into pie dish and cook for about 45 minutes, until top is golden.  Knife inserted in center should come out without runny egg on it.
6. Eat and enjoy!  

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Welcome back! (says the woman who can't remember the last time she posted something on her blog!) I haven't made quiche in ages. Ought to give it a go. Thanks!

nicciwoffinden said...

Haha - we made something very similar to this last week. I'm hooked on quinoa big time right now!