Wednesday, November 04, 2009

The quest continues...

The quest to become more organized, that is. I had a little system in place with the kids last year, over the summer, where we kept a sort of schedule of everything they needed to do each day, and the time they spent watching TV and playing computer. It worked quite well, but once school started, we abandoned the schedule and got back into our normal routine - of not having one. haha Of course, with 4 kids, life doesn't get any less busy. While I'm not a huge fan of too much structure, we were getting to the point where something had to be done. We were always busy busy busy, yet the kids seemed to magically find time to constantly bug me about playing the wii or computer or watching TV. Enough is enough, I said. Something had to be done. I've also been wanting to get myself more organized, and to waste less time (namely, on facebook...). So I decided I should get myself one of those awesome whiteboard calendars that you can write in each month. While at Target the other day, I went to look for one. That shopping trip ended up being a success all around. Not only did I find the kind of whiteboard calendar I was looking for, but I found these awesome chore charts with little star magnets, made just for kids! And some delicious artisan sourdough bread and Ritter Sport chocolate. Told you the shopping trip was a success. :p Anyway, I digress. I ended up getting each of the kids their own board (except Elly, she's too little). They love them! I've worked out the initial plan for getting important things done, earning time for electronic entertainment, and being accountable for time spent playing/watching said electronic entertainment. So far, so good! It's a work in progress, and I'm sure things are going to get changed around as time goes on. I'm just glad I've found something to hopefully cut down on the TV/wii/computer time, and help give the kids some sort of structure. We'll see how it works out over time. :o)

5 comments:

Kelley said...

Target, you say? I think I'll be heading over there very soon. Those chore charts are great! And so is a little structure. We need a bit more of that around here. We've had practically none for the past three weeks because I've been frantically getting ready for a holiday craft boutique that is this Saturday. I can't wait to get through it so we can get back to normal life!

miranda said...

That's a cool chore chart. I can see other ways of using something similar for The Boy and helping keep him organized. We're fairly easy to keep track of overall, though, since there are just the three of us total.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Hm . . . I was just thinking about doing something like this. Thanks for the tip.

Frugal or Cheap? said...

Great idea! And I went into Target this week with 2 things on my list, and left with more things than I'm going to disclose.... it's a money pit but I can't help myself!

Doreen said...

I don't think I know anyone who can go to Target and not spend more money than they were planning to. :p