Friday, April 24, 2009

Time to harvest

After the heavy rains last weekend, I was really worried about the potato plants. The water just wasn't draining well, and potatoes don't like sitting in wet soil. Throughout the week, I've been watching as the potato plants seemed to be slowly withering away. I considered them a total loss. Today, I was talking to my neighbor, who had also planted potatoes around the same time I did (in fact, I'd gotten my seed potatoes from her). She told me she'd decided to take out her own plants, since they were all dead, and she actually found potatoes. She was pretty surprised. So I decided to go back and dig up my garden, too. Lo and behold, I found potatoes! And tons of earthworms. Yay for healthy soil! I was rather excited. Now I don't know if the plants were wilting because the potatoes were done, or if it was indeed the water that did them in. I'm leaning towards water, because there were quite a few small potatoes that still had a lot of growing to do. At least it wasn't a total loss, though! Out of six potato plants (about 1.5 pounds of seed potatoes), I got 6.5 pounds of potatoes. Not a huge harvest, but at least it's something! Actually, I probably had closer to 7.5 pounds, but some of the potatoes I had to throw out because they were all mushy (I'm thinking spoiled from sitting in the wet soil). So for dinner tonight, we're having fresh boiled potatoes with butter and sour cream. Yum! I also decided to pull out my one and only kohlrabi plant, and we already at it up. If you haven't eaten kohlrabi, you should try it sometime. Just slice it up and eat it raw (you could dip it in veggie dip if you wanted to).

potatoes and kohlrabi


We also have an abundance of carrots. They are delicious!

8 comments:

Kelley said...

Those purple carrots look a little funny, but really interesting, too. I can't wait to start gettign plants in the ground now that it's warming up.

Doreen said...

Kelley, they taste great!

Lanny said...

Linus wants to grow carrots so badly. I decided we'd go for it, but then it occurred to me that we have deer in our backyard (in a subdivision!), and I'm worried they'd enjoy a nice feast.

chicagosapps said...

Your carrots turned out lovely! I can't believe you're feasting on garden food already when we are getting ready to finally plant some seeds here.

Canda said...

That is great those potatoes did something. We planted a week or two ago and things are starting to sprout, I'm so excited.

Alicia said...

We are jealous! We were just barely able to plant some onions. We might be able to plant some peas here soon and then we will have to wait for awhile before we can plant anything else! In fact it was snowing again today!

Arianne said...

Those carrots are beautiful! And look at all the kale. Man you need to give me lessons.

Lari said...

The carrots look tasty! I love biodiversity in veggies!