Monday, April 20, 2009

Fruits of my labor

Or rather, vegetables. :p I processed the second batch of kale today. I tore out 6 of my plants, which had somewhat fallen over after the heavy rain and winds on Saturday. They were the plants that I had already harvested a lot of leaves from, so they were a bit more susceptible to the weather, I guess. Anyway, I tore them out and took off the rest of the leaves to process today.

cleaned and ready to be cut


blanching process


nearly 8 pounds of vacuum packed kale, in 5 bags


Today's harvest doubled what's already in the freezer. I now have kale all ready for 10 batches of soup. Yum. I also saved some of the blanching water, to use as stock for soups or something. Now to figure out what to do with all the rest of the kale that's still growing out there. I may try freezing some without all the processing, just to use in frittatas or green smoothies or something. My freezer is going to be full of kale, haha!

4 comments:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

THAT is a lot of work. My friend ran a half marathon in that rainstorm you took a picture of. You've gotta love real rain.

Shannon said...

I know for a fact that my boys are happy that your freezer is so far away! Enjoy your kale!

Frugal, or Cheap? said...

You go!

Erin said...

Wanna come help me do my spinach the same way??? We have it coming out our ears! Texas rainstorms are crazy! We were in Houston last year during one that was nuts! Our kids love watching the rain but Jared is deathly afraid of the lightening and thunder...he really should get used to it 'cause we aren't going anywhere soon.