Sunday, March 22, 2009

Kale Frittata

I have an abundance of kale in my garden right now. Seriously, tons. If you live close by, come for a visit, and take some kale home with you when you leave. Seriously! :p Anyway, in an effort to actually use what I grow in my garden, I find myself constantly thinking of and looking for recipes that involve kale. One can only have soup so many times, right? Well, this morning I decided to try a kale frittata. It turned out surprisingly good! Both Kaylee and Elly loved it, so I didn't get nearly as big a breakfast as I would have liked. We have church during lunchtime, so I try to eat a big breakfast in order not to starve to death while there (nursing Elly still requires a continuous intake of calories!). Anyway, as I was saying, I made a kale frittata. Really easy to make, and tastes better than it sounds! I used three eggs, two large leaves of kale, a green onion, some salt, and some pepper. Removed the kale leaves from the stem, cut the green onion and kale fairly small, and mixed everything up. Then poured it into a little omelette pan and cooked it on low heat until it was pretty much cooked all the way through, turned it over to finish it up. All done! Like I said, the girls loved it! Next time, I think I'm going to add one more egg, as it was a bit heavy on the kale. And to hopefully fill me up a little more, what with two helpers! And add some cheese to the mix. Can't believe I forgot the cheese! :o)

2 comments:

Rixa said...

I LOVE kale. I'm really excited to try making kale chips once we get a harvest. See
http://pandragonathome.blogspot.com/2008/12/kale-kale-kale.html

Shannon said...

Glad your breakfast was good. I'm pretty sure that I will never have an abundance of kale, as I'm pretty sure I won't ever plant it. One of these days when I see you again, we're going to have to try all your recipes. That way, if no one in my family will eat it, you and I can have a good meal or two!