Friday, March 27, 2009

Garden at the end of March

For reference, this is what it looked like four weeks ago. Here it is now. From left to right, there is kale, carrots, and potatoes in the back, green onions, chives, parsley and cilantro in the middle, and my lone surviving kohlrabi plant surrounded by lettuce in the front. There were supposed to be a couple of zucchini plants in the big empty spot, but for some reason, they never came up. Don't know if the bugs ate them? My sugar snap pea plants are on their last leg. We've harvested most of the pods, and they have pretty much stopped flowering now. They've also got an ugly case of some type of mildew on the leaves. I'll probably take them out in another week or two, once we pick the remaining pods. The lettuce that is growing by the pea plants has now bolted, so I need to take that out, as well. We ate from it all winter! Amazing. The spots of color you see are the marigolds (for bug control).



Our citrus trees are in full bloom right now. I love standing by them, the scent in the air is delicious!





I also planted a blackberry bush a couple of weeks ago. It's doing really well!



Here are some pretty weeds growing in my grass. They will be pulled tomorrow.

7 comments:

miranda said...

We got snow again this week :( No garden for us yet.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Lovely photos. We just put everything in the ground this week.

Kelley said...

I'm trying very hard to restrain my envy. We just had 5 inches of nasty, wet snow. On the 28th of March! Your garden looks so beautiful, and sounds so delicious. It sounds like Houston definitely has its good points.

Katy said...

Way to go, woman! I'm so jealous. I wish I knew what a citrus tree even smelled like. Looks like you are keeping busy. I'm glad you commented on my blog, cause I lost your address when I changed my background awhile ago. Hope things are going wonderful for you all! I'm soon to have my baby and looking forward to using my "hypnobirthing".

Canda said...

Great job. We were going to plant last weekend, but got a frost blast. So after tonight I should be able to. Why can't my New Mexico weeds be that pretty?

Jessica Law said...

Hey there -- I'm so glad you found my blog so I could peek at yours. What absolutely beautiful children you have!! It looks to me like our kids are all about the same age? That gives us all the more reason to get together after 7 years...I do remember seeing you too on a basketball court was it? Either way, it looks like we might be moving to Amarillo, TX. I know, still a drive to Houston, but a better one that's doable. It's still up in the air though, so I'll keep you posted.

I am so very jealous of your garden. Scott and I have been talking of doing one for so long now, but we're always in rentals and the conditions are never right. Looks like Texas could be a great place to start one and we'll have to pick your brain for advice.

Good to find you!

Arianne said...

Beautiful!