Saturday, February 28, 2009

Garden at the end of February

Time for another garden post! I spent a lot of time out there today. With the heat wave we've been having (okay, not really hot, but definitely a heat wave for it being February), everything has been growing by leaps and bounds. Including the weeds, of course. I also tore out all of the old spinach today. I now have a better idea of how many rows I really need, and hopefully won't be wasting so much next time around. I put in some humus and composted cow manure where the spinach used to be, and put in a couple rows of lettuce seeds. The kohlrabi I put in a while ago hasn't been doing so great. I have seven plants left, and decided to put little cups around them to try and protect them from the caterpillars and snails that have been munching on the leaves. Hopefully I'll be able to save the little plants, and they'll start growing better. I do like kohlrabi every once in a while. :o) The potatoes I put in a couple of weeks ago are starting to take off, and I filled in the little trenches today. I'm going to have to keep putting soil/compost around the plants every few weeks to make sure the little potatoes stay covered. I also put in a few marigolds throughout the garden bed, as I've read they tend to keep the bugs away. The bad bugs, anyway. We'll see if it works. I think my neighbor had trouble with them attracting aphids last year, so if that becomes an issue, I may have to take them out again. For now they add a nice touch of color to all the green. As for the pea plant, it seems to have finally slowed down with the upward growth, and is growing lots of foliage and flowers. We've been able to harvest more than just two or three peas over the last couple of days, which has been fun. I love to garden! :o)

5 comments:

Erin said...

Looks beautiful! We've been working on ours too and it is so rewarding. I like the marigold idea, maybe we'l add some to our garden too :).

Erin said...

I like your new background btw! Very Springy!

Jen said...

Your garden is always so beautiful! Want to work on mine some? Seriously!

Sabrina said...

Fabulous! Hopefully we'll get our garden working out soon and will have some notes to compare! Love the new background!!!

corey said...

I envy that garden. We're planting a lawn from seed, and every day we look for signs of new life. We're planning a veggie garden, and we shall see. :)