Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Signing time!

I tried some sign language with Kaylee when she was little, but never was very consistent with it. Interestingly, she picked up airplane after only seeing it a couple of times, but never used eat or drink or whatever would have actually been useful, even after me using it for a long time. I gave up on it when she started talking. :p Now, I've been wanting to try it with Elly, to see if we could be more successful with her. I've been using the sleep sign with her for a long time now, I make the sign on my face, then on her's, and I say "schlafen gehen" (go to sleep). Tonight, Elly was especially cranky (teeth are coming in, at last!). She was tired and crying, and clinging to her dad. I wanted to take her so I could put her in bed, but she didn't want to come to me. So I made the sleep sign and said "schlafen gehen". She stopped crying, and I signed again, on my face and on her's. Then she leaned towards me, and let me take her to bed! What a smart baby. :o) Now I'm extra glad I decided to order a couple of the Signing Time DVDs (off ebay), we should all have a fun time learning!

8 comments:

Karin said...

heehee. If I were a boy, I would marry Rachel. ;-) She is almost single-handedly responsible for getting my cute Buggy to talk. Never in a million years did doctors ever think she would communicate with speech...and she's doing it! and the funniest part is that now Little is watching it with her sister and dancing along. lol I can't wait until she starts signing back. :-)

3in3mom said...

I love signing time--all my kids are more vocal and cooperative because of them. It's also so useful for couples (signing across loud rooms). . .

YEAH for Elly

Lanny said...

I did some signing with Linus, but not as much as I'd like. Maybe I need to get some of those!

Cluff Bunch said...

Yeah for Rachel, Alex, and Leah (and hopkins too)! We love signing time at our house. She's getting a German lesson too so thats double the "language lesson". Yeah for Elly, that is awesome! And yeah for you for being such a fantastic mommy!

KarateMommy said...

that's awesome! how exciting!

Mimi said...

go to the library and check out "Baby Signing time" I loooove the songs and Evey is addicted to it. She knows all the sign from the 13+ DVDs

Arianne said...

Signing was a life saver with my oldest, a preemie with delayed speech development. He knew what he wanted to say and signing gave him a way to say it. Much less screaming. We loved it.

tearese said...

I think its cool that so many people are teaching babies sign languange; I'm sure it helps many people communicate with their kids earlier than they otherwise could. However, I've noticed that lots of kids who learn sign first, tend to speak a lot later because they don't need to talk now. Just an observation.