Sunday, January 18, 2009

Right!

I'm supposed to actually write something! That's what this whole blog thing is all about! You'd think after more than 3 years, I'd have figured that out. :p Actually, life has just been crazy busy. My parents were in town visiting, and we all had so much fun I never got to get on the computer much. Technically, I shouldn't be on right now, either. Got dishes to do. Isn't my life exciting? I did want to share this great picture of the fruits of my labor, though. Or rather, the vegetable. Or whatever spinach is. Leafy green? Anyway, I harvested 4 pounds of it last week. And that wasn't even half of what's in my garden! I love spinach, and since my parents were in town, and they love it, I figured I'd cook some and call it a meal. This is what I grew up with. It may not look very appetizing to some of you, but trust me, it's good! Spinach cooked with some onion, then pureed. Add some salt and pepper, and some cream, and tadah, you have yourself a meal. Well, with some mashed potatoes and scrambled eggs, you know, can't JUST eat spinach. It was yummy! :o)

6 comments:

Mimi said...

OMG, it's one of the dishes I always request when I fly home. "Spinat mit dem Blup". Tell me how you make it....in a blender? I have to make it!

Doreen said...

Yes, in a blender. You need tons of spinach if you use fresh, or you could probably use the plain frozen kind. Cook it with some onion, for about 10 minutes or so. Then drain off the liquid and put the spinach in a blender. Blend it on a low speed (I think I used chop), just enough to get a nice puree but without liquefying it. Then put it back in the pot, add some salt, pepper and some cream, and heat it through. That's it! I think picking the spinach and cleaning it took the longest.

Shannon said...

Sounds good, but I can guarantee a revolt from the males under 15 in this house if tried serving it. Maybe someday, when you visit us or we visit you, we'll have to give it a try.

Doreen said...

Shan, my kids won't eat it, either. That's why I never make it, haha!

Cluff Bunch said...

Okay you're right, it looks nasty. But, it SOUNDS de-lish! I love spinach too and this sounds like a great way to prepare it. Good to see you're back in the blogging world again. Hope you've enjoyed your family! Happy New Year!!

Kelley said...

I agree with Cluff Bunch. It looks terrible, but sounds pretty good. I love spinach, too, though I've never tried it this way.

By the way, what does "blup" mean? I don't speak German at all, but the mental picture of that word fits the picture on the post perfectly.