Saturday, January 24, 2009

Garden Bliss!

I finally found some time today to go tend to my (somewhat neglected) garden. It was so much fun! Maybe because I was out there all by myself, without kids, just me in my own little garden world. Before I knew it, and hour and a half had gone by, and was it ever a good time. I got all the weeding done, transplanted some kale plants, sowed some kohlrabi and cilantro, and harvested some carrots. Actually, I pulled carrots to thin them out some more, but most of the ones I pulled were already big enough to eat. Yum! We've also been able to pick some sugar snap peas already. We just go out to the garden for a little snack now, haha! The garden really is doing well, I couldn't be more pleased with it. The kale is getting to be quite big, and I'm hoping the plants all survived the transplanting. They were all way too close together, so I had to take some and move them. Hopefully I didn't kill them! The spinach is still growing nicely, as are the carrots. We've also been enjoying the green onions and parsley. It's so nice to be able to just go outside and get what we need to spice up a meal. :o) The sugar snap peas are getting really tall, they're probably close to 6' now. I had to extend the trellis. Interestingly, the foliage is really kind of sparse. They also have some issues with leaves turning yellow. Maybe they just need more fertilizer, I don't know. There are lots of blossoms, though, and the pods grow quite quickly. They taste really sweet. The lettuce is insane, that's the only way I know how to describe it. If you ever decide to put arugula in your garden, be prepared for it to take over! That stuff grows like a weed, haha! I also put in a few more rows of carrots and another row of green onions a couple of weeks ago, and everything is starting to come up. I had some potatoes that were beginning to sprout in my fridge, and I planted those a couple of weeks ago, as well. So far nothing, though, not sure that they'll actually grow. If nothing else, they'll fertilize the ground, right? :p Anyway, here it is, all nice and cleaned up. :o)



Here are the carrots I pulled today. You'll notice some of them are purple. They are Purple Haze, and they are incredibly sweet. Delicious!

7 comments:

Shannon said...

Looks Good! Take notes so I can call you in the spring.

Sabrina said...

LOVELY garden!!! Oooh looks so yummy! So impressive!

Alicia said...

Ohhhh! I am so jealous that you can have a garden at this time of the year when we are up here in Logan with freezing rain and snow!!!!!!!!

Mimi said...

what are using the Kale for? I tried it on a drink (mixer) it it's way too bitter for me.

Doreen said...

Eintopf!

Kelley said...

Oh, that makes me hungry for spring, but winter just barely got going here. All that green stuff! How wonderful.

Arianne said...

Wow! Can't wait till spring. It will be our first chance at gardening!