Wednesday, January 21, 2009

CPSIA

I'm sure most of you have heard of this already. For those of you who haven't, please go and read this article, which was published in Forbes magazine. This law was NOT thought through, and the impact it could have on small businesses, and even YOU, could be huge. Love cool wooden toys? They soon may not be available anymore. Like to support work-at-home moms who sell cute handcrafted accessories for kids? They may be forced to shut down their websites soon. Love etsy? You may not find much there anymore after Feb. 10th, at least not much for kids. Got a lot of baby clothes and toys you don't need anymore? You better hurry and give them away before Feb. 10th. And that barely touches the surface. Go read the article for the impact this law would have. Then go and sign the petition to help stop it. Contact Consumer Protection Committee members. While legislation is certainly needed to help make toys safer for our kids, this one goes too far. By a long shot.

5 comments:

Cluff Bunch said...

So, one of my friends sent me this email concerning this crazy law.

Hello all!

Thanks so much to all of those who responded so fast to my email yesterday. Apparently we were not the only ones concerned, because just this afternoon the CPSC issued a press release saying that this law wouldn't apply to resellers, kinda. Apparently it will still be illegal to sell items that have lead, but resellers will not have to have their items certified. The CPSC just suggests that you don't sell items that could possibly have lead because you don't know if they have lead or not, such as cribs and kids jewelry. That is better than not being able to sell anything, or having to get everything tested. The CPSC also says that they aren't going to be policing the little guys.

Here is the link to the press release. http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/
prhtml09/09086.html

Jeannie said...

:) THanks for posting about this too! (and if you hadn't joined the facebook group for it, I wouldn't have known that much about it either.)

I just think it is so scary. And ridiculous.

Kelley said...

Yeah, I'm ticked about this because this not-well-thought-out law is forcing me to close down an entire side of my business. I've contacted my congressman and senator and got NOTHING back. Oh, I'm mad!

Mom's Sewing Vault said...

I wrote to my legislators and heard back from one. His suggestion was that "the relevant executive branch agencies [may] issue regulations to provide guidance and technical requirements" after many laws are passed. Which agencies are they?

So, for the 2009 legislative session, I guess the letter-writing question is "to whom do I write to insist upon exemptions that protect handmade?"
sally

Jeni said...

My sister told me about this a few weeks ago. Scary, huh?