Saturday, December 06, 2008

Nikolaus

Since we're German and all (well, one of us, and 4 that are half), we get to celebrate Nikolaus today! It's a fun little tradition leading into Christmas. Saint Nicholas comes during the night from the 5th to the 6th of December, and puts little treats and presents in the kids' shoes (which they set out the night of the 5th, before they go to bed). He's not to be confused with Santa Claus, who's a completely different person! Often, we lead into it on the 5th by having a cozy afternoon spent as a family, baking cookies, reading stories, etc. Due to Dave having a huge project due at work soon, we kinda had to skip over that part this year. Maybe we'll bake some cookies today!









6 comments:

Jeannie said...

How fun! I love the little baby booties, too!

Keith and Nicci said...

I wanna be German so I can celebrate that too!

Baby Oven said...

I love this tradition. I don't care that I'm not German, I think that I am going to celebrate Nikolaus Day next year. It seems like a great way to kick off the Christmas season.

Mimi said...

is there an orange in the toe? What are the mushrooms? By the way, it;s a shame you are in Texas and your kids don't have SORREL boots. lol

Doreen said...

Nicci and C, you both are technically family, right? Feel free to pick up the tradition. ;o)

Mimi, yeah, no boots for us. The mushrooms are kaleidoscopes. They're pretty fun! And no, no oranges. I couldn't fit one in even if I wanted to! Hehe

Mike and Niki said...

Mike's parent's both served missions in Germany so he grew up celebrating St. Nick day too. Now we celebrate it with our kids and they love it.