Thursday, December 11, 2008

Kale Soup recipe

Here it is, ladies. Do my kids eat it, you wonder? Well, Tyler does. Bryan doesn't, but then he doesn't eat anything green, so that's not too surprising. Kaylee won't eat it from her own bowl, but will eat off her dad's plate. Go figure. :p Be warned that the recipe is one of those "throw stuff together" kind of things. There are no real precise measurements, and I think it tastes a bit different each time I make it, haha! I make this in a crock pot, cooked on high for 6 hours. You could probably cook it on the stove top, but make sure you give it enough time, otherwise it may be bitter (but don't over-cook, or it'll get a sour taste). As for amounts of stuff, it really depends on how much soup you want. If you use the max given here, you'll fill up a 6 qt. crock pot, and will have enough for, oh, I don't know, depends how well people like it, I guess. ;o)

Take the stems off of one to two bunches of kale. Cut the leaves in pieces (kind of like you may cut lettuce for a salad so it'll fit on your mouth without you making a huge mess, know what I'm talking about?). Peel and dice 4-6 medium boiling potatoes into bite size pieces (reds, yukon golds, something like that). Cut half a pound to one pound of beef into small pieces. This is optional, you can leave it out if you want to cook vegetarian. Also, if you can get your hands on grass fed beef, it'll taste tons better! Put everything in crock pot, and put in just enough water to cover everything. If you choose to go with the max amount given here, you may not be able to put enough water to completely cover the kale, as it has a tendency to float. That's okay. I usually kind of push everything down with my hands, and as long as there's enough water to cover everything while a little "compacted", it should be good. Put in a some bouillon cubes. I use two, Rapunzel Vegetable Bouillon with Herbs, I've liked that the best out of all the bouillons I've tried. Cover and cook on high for about 4 hours, then check progress, stir soup around. About an hour before the soup is done cooking, I usually thicken it. I take a non-stick pan, melt some butter in it (1/4 - 1/2 cup), then mix flour into the melted butter. Enough to make a thick paste. Then I use a ladle to get liquid from the soup to thin the flour mixture enough so I can pour it back into the soup. The flour mixture will be pretty lumpy at first, and you have to add quite a bit of liquid, a little at a time. So, add a little liquid, stir, add some more liquid, stir, etc. Once you have a smooth liquidy sauce, pour it back into the soup, stir, cover, and finish cooking. Once the soup is done, add salt and pepper to taste (note you may not need to add extra salt, depending on what kind of bouillon you use). That's it!

No comments: