Monday, December 01, 2008

If you have a dog...

...please don't let him/her run around outside without supervision. That's especially true if you have two dogs. And if they're fairly big. I don't care how nice or tame they are, and how they would never bite anyone. Because they will freak me out. Especially when I'm out walking with my 3 year old and my baby in the double stroller. Yes, it will scare me when they come right up to me to sniff, and then run around me and the stroller a few times as I keep walking. Yes, it will cause visions of news headlines about mauled children to pop up in my head. No, it's not the way I want to end my morning walk.

4 comments:

Kelley said...

Okay, that's just terrifying. I was jumped up on by a large dog when I was tiny, and have never recovered. Your story sent shivers down my spine, even though nothing happened. Yikes!

denedu said...

I feel ya on this one. My m-i-l has two big greyhounds and a lab. I use to hate taking the kids over there for visits, 'cause she always had them running around the house. Though she'd say they'd never hurt a fly they are still animals and could snap at any moment. I've never been one for big dogs...from afar they are fine, but not jumping up in my face. I'm more of a tiny lap dog kind of gal. :)

Science Teacher Mommy said...

I agree. If you kneel down next to a three year-old when a big dog comes up to him, its jaws are as big as your child's head. It doesn't matter how many times the owner says, "He is friendly." Yeah, even LIONS are nice to their friends. But at least my 3 year old stays away. My baby wants to chase them.

Jeannie said...

Agreed. Even the tiny dogs. Some weirdo was walking his dog near the busstop right after school started this year and came right up to the kids "Want to pet my dog?"

My kids were freaked out...we aren't dog people...I immediately thought he was wierd, who does that in this day and age? Hasn't he heard of Stranger Danger?