Wednesday, December 17, 2008

I love this picture!

So I was thinking today, about how Elly is just about 9 months old. She's been out longer than she was in! Somehow, that's always a big milestone to me. Like, wow, my baby is growing up. I was feeling a bit nostalgic, and looked through all of the pictures from her birth. I came across this one, and I just love all the details in it. Like, she's getting her newborn exam. On my kitchen table. I don't think I'll ever be able to get rid of that table now! It's bad enough I couldn't bring along the living room she was born in. :p Seriously, though, I love how she's on the kitchen table, getting checked over by my midwife. Notice the juice pitcher, yes, I love Pampered Chef! Notice also the empty rubbermaid container that usually has freshly ground flour in it. Why was that on the table? I have no idea. Then there's Elly's little foot. Notice her long toes? I think she got those from her dad. Notice her head, nice and round. I guess that's what happens when you just float around forever and then decide to make a mad dash for the exit. Not much time for molding! Notice also how clean she is. I don't think we gave her a bath until her umbilical cord fell off. Not even a sponge bath. We did keep her diaper area clean, of course. But I just didn't feel the need to scrub her down. I think what I like most about the picture is her finger. Notice how she's got her pinky in her mouth? She still likes to chew on her fingers like that! She almost always has one in her mouth, though not so much the pinky anymore. She's moved past that, and now prefers the index finger. She doesn't suck on them, but actually chews around. I suppose that'll work until she gets teeth. Well, without further ado, here's the picture I'm talking about. No, it's not one of those spectacular shots that come along every so often, but there's lots to love about it. :o)

4 comments:

3in3mom said...

Very sweet! I love how photos bring back so many precious memories. Your daughter is very blessed to have such a loving Mom--who treasures the little things!

Jennifer Flake said...

Hey! Just checking out your blog and thought I'd say "hi"! (This is Angie Hodges friend)...

Hope you and your family are having a wonderful holiday season!

Keith and Nicci said...

I'm so glad your experience was all you wanted with Elly - we're hoping to make our next a little better than #2 for us (#1 was exactly the way we had wished), but we'll have to see what happens and be flexible!

Kelley said...

That's what I love about homebirths - the little details are so homey and real and sweet. She looks beautiful! I can't believe she's so big already. Doesn't it feel like she was just born last week? It does for me with Rachel, and it's already been 6 months!