Monday, November 17, 2008

RIP, little cutworm caterpillar

This morning, after my morning walk, I went out to check my garden. The spinach and kale are growing really nicely, as are the carrots. The tomatoes are plentiful, but all still green. The lettuce is growing in three nice rows. And my pea plants, they are growing, too! And there it was. Covered in pesticide dust. The little cutworm caterpillar. Paralized, apparently. It was still squirming, fairly close to one of the pea plants. Sorry buddy, you're not going to turn into a moth. You see, if you had decided to feast on something like, say, the weeds, you would be alive and kicking. Unfortunately, you decided to pick my pea plants. If you had munched on a leaf or two, I would have showed mercy. But no, you had to go and cut my plants down. Unfortunately, that meant you had to die. Sorry. RIP, and in your next life, maybe you can come back as a bee, or a ladybug, or an earthworm. You know, something useful.

4 comments:

Cluff Bunch said...

I just read through all of your posts from the past week or so. You've bee busy! Good luck with those pesty little cutworms...

Doreen said...

What are you doing reading my blog? You're supposed to be out having a baby! :p

Cluff Bunch said...

yeah, well, someone forgot to tell him that! ;)

Kelley said...

LOL! I'm sure the world won't miss that little cutworm.

Have you ever seen tomato worms? I discovered a HUGE one on our tomatoes one summer, but he earned a well-deserved trip into the middle of the road. I didn't feel to sorry for the sucker, especially after seeing the damage he wreaked.