Thursday, November 06, 2008

Most delicious!

So I was craving chocolate today. And cake. And I had an overripe banana sitting on my counter. And I had an idea. The idea turned into the most deliciously moist, and extra chocolatey, chocolate banana cake. It's, well, delicious! Worthy for a recipe post. :o) I used a recipe from my favorite baking book and adjusted some ingredients, and added the banana. Here goes.

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup soft butter
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
9 Tbsp. cocoa powder and 3 Tbsp. oil (used this to substitute 3 ounces melted unsweetened chocolate, which I didn't have)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 cups water
one very ripe mashed banana

Beat butter until smooth. Add sugar and beat until well mixed. Add eggs, one at a time, and mix in really well. Add mashed banana, mix really well. Add baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat really well. Add vanilla and mix. Add cocoa powder and oil, mix. Then slowly add flower and water, alternating a little at a time. Mix until everything is well blended. Pour into greased 9x13 cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees (I baked at 300, using the convection option on my oven). Check after about 30 minutes, with toothpick. I think mine ended up needing more like 35-40 minutes, but check after 30. Let cool, and enjoy! I think cream cheese frosting would make it divine. Unfortunately, I didn't have cream cheese on hand, but I'll definitely try it next time. The cake has some serious chocolate flavor, with just the slightest hint of banana, and is super moist. Mmmmm.....

No comments: