Sunday, November 09, 2008

Hurricane Ike Book Drive!

I've been thinking about doing this for a while, and I'm finally figuring out the details. You see, every year, I set up an Usborne eShow for myself. Whenever I send people book gifts (love to do this for baby gifts), I buy them through this eShow. Once Christmas rolls around, I turn in my show and get some free and discounted books as gifts for the kids. After hurricane Ike, people started asking for donations for everything from clothes to furniture to kitchen items - you name it, somebody needed it. Which is good. And I started thinking that many schools and teachers in the area probably lost a considerable amount of books to flooding. So this idea started forming in my head to donate my free books to a school. Just didn't know how to go about doing that. Well, I finally got in touch with someone who will help me do this! I'm excited! So here's the thing. Right now, my show is at $156, which will get me $20 in free books. It's a great start, but I'd love to be able to give more. So, I need YOUR help! If you're still looking for Christmas gifts for your kids, friends, or family, please consider getting some books! They really are awesome, and great quality. And you'll help me raise money to give some of these wonderful books to one of the schools that lost so much during the hurricane! If you'd like, please put a link to this post on the sidebar of your blog to help spread the word. Thank you!

Click Here to Start Shopping

The book drive will go through the end of December. Commission earned will be used to help me cover the cost for some discounted books, as well as taxes, shipping, and handling costs.

UPDATE: We have a school! It's actually outside of our own district, but it needs help badly. It got completely destroyed, and they're in the process of re-building. Obviously, the teachers all lost their classroom libraries. Books will be donated to these teachers, as classroom libraries take a long time (and lots of money) to build up. Thanks again for your help! Oh, and if you live close by and have books you don't need anymore (and that are still in good shape and appropriate for an elementary school), please get in touch with me!

No comments: