Monday, October 20, 2008

Productive Day!

I'm feeling quite accomplished today. I mowed and edged the frontyard, did laundry, and weeded my garden (which took 45 minutes, and I could have easily spent another half hour, but Elly was waking up from her nap). Now all I have left to do is take a shower. I'm hoping Elly will cooperate and take one more nap this afternoon. It's only 1:45 p.m., so there's hope. :p

Speaking of garden, I was in for quite a surprise when I got home. The watermelon plants decided to have another growth spurt. There are vines with flowers everywhere! I'm going to have to tear them out, since there's no way we'll get any more ripe watermelons out of those before winter. In fact, one of the watermelons is still on the vine, since Dave picked the second one and it still wasn't ripe. That marks three months from the time the plants started emerging... I'm going to give it one more week, then I'll have to tear out the plants so I can get my Fall garden ready. My tomato plant is growing like crazy, too. There are tons of flowers on it, and a bunch of small tomatoes! I can't believe how much growth happened in the two weeks I was gone. I suppose the cooler temperatures helped, and the fact that there was quite a bit of rain last week. Of course, seeing as all my plants decided to grow like crazy, it's no surprise that the weeds did, too. Thus the need for lots and lots of weeding today. I do have one spot ready for the peas, maybe I'll have the boys help me put them in after school today. Since I'm in the mood for work outdoors. :p Oh, and you true gardeners will understand my excitement at finding two huge earthworms in my garden bed today! It's nice to see the garden come to life, as I have no idea what the previous owners did with it. The only life I could do without are the ants, really. I have yet another fire ant colony in one of the corners. I just can't seem to get rid of those. I did find organic certified ant poison, but it doesn't work quite as well as the other stuff. Oh well, it'll have to do. I suppose I could do without the grubs, too, but fortunately I haven't found too many of those. Nor other pests. I'll stop there, before I jinx myself. :o)

3 comments:

Keith and Nicci said...

Glad to hear you had a productive day. And I loved your comment - very helpful:). No worries about being embarrassed at the reunion - we all have kids now anyways, so something has been going on all this time...

johnanannx2 said...

hi doreen and dave, we plan to be in your area in a couple of weeks we think. will be in touch. pam gave us your phone #.. problably spend 10 days in kentucky. then go diamond hunting in sw arkansas, then head your way. glad you enjoyed germany doreen. love uncle john

chicagosapps said...

Glad your garden is doing well, even though the weeds and pests took advantage of your absence. This is war! The only things in our garden that did really well were the strawberries (YUM!) and tomatoes. Believe it or not, our zucchini totally slumped and we only got two! I was very sad and actually had to BUY zuchinni to make some of my recipes. It's just wrong.