Thursday, October 09, 2008

October 9, 1989 - Wir sind das Volk

October 9th, 1989 marks an important day in German history. Not as memorable as November 9th, perhaps, but important nonetheless. Starting in September, there had been what came to be known as Monday demonstrations in Leipzig. They started out fairly small, and October 9th marks the day the demonstrations went from small to big scale. During the weeks following, protests grew bigger, and more and more people joined in. Demonstrations also started taking place in other cities, eventually leading to the fall of the Berlin Wall on November 9th, 1989. All of that happened really close to home for me. Of course, I was only 11 at the time, and in fact, I remember being scared more than anything. I suppose the indoctrination at school had been successful, as I had visions of fascists and Nazis invading East Germany and World War III breaking out... Some of those things really have happend, if not in the same way I invisioned in my 11 year old mind. And democracy and freedom have come at a price, as the roughly 25% unemployed people in parts of East Germany will be quick to tell you. You never get the good without the bad, right? Corruption called by any other name is still just that. But that's a post for another day. Happy freedom day, or rather, freedom months to all of my formerly-oppressed friends. :D

1 comment:

Mimi said...

ja ja, Einigkeit.
My dad was unemployed and the bishop forever, still never found a job in his field since the wall fell. What's a physicist to do at Home Depot? Anyway, I do would like to hear your story. I was 8 and I thought we had to swim to the west because I never saw a map and I heard of people swimming to the west (over Denmark)to escape.