Monday, October 13, 2008

The incredible edible fungus

This one's for you, STM ;o)

So we went mushroom picking last Wednesday. I finally managed to get some pictures uploaded. We had lots of fun. Well, I did. Kaylee kept getting stuck on wild blackberry bushes and such, so she didn't enjoy herself much. But she survived, and even wanted to go mushroom picking again after all was said and done (you wouldn't have guessed from the whining she did while we were walking through the woods...). Elly slept in the sling through most of the fun. She obviously hasn't learned to appreciate mushrooms just yet. Without further ado, the pictures.

Yes, you can eat those!


all cleaned up and ready to cook

6 comments:

Shannon said...

Have to say that I'm glad somebody out there likes to eat mushrooms. I'm getting to where I can tolerate them on pizza and in a couple of dishes. They cannot, however, occur in huge abundance and must be VERY well cooked as mixed in with other foods so I don't notice the texture as much. Obviously, we don't eat them very often! Kudos for picking your own. I'm afraid I'd kill myself and everyone we had over for dinner! Have a great one.

Karin said...

OOOOhh! Pilzen! Oh how I miss them. That looked so beautiful. I need to get to know my fungus better so I can do that here. My Tante knew everything about cooking them and hunting for them in their yummy goodness. Enjoy the food for me!

Science Teacher Mommy said...

I don't really like to eat them (too much information about how they are artifically grown and a texture problem), but I think they are fascinating to study. Their life cycle is so interesting. Not plant, not animal--decomposers. We are lucky to have fungus in all its forms.

Texas has some very cool shelf fungus that grows on the sides of trees. We took a nature walk once in the Sam Houston State Park (north of he city about 45 minutes) and I was amazed when I developed the pictures and realized I had about 15 pictures of different fungi. That was during my I-want-to-be-a-mycologist-when-I-grow-up phase.

Saskia said...

Those look amazing!! I sure wish I had gone looking for mushrooms while I was up there...

Mimi said...

aww man, salivating. I have no problem with texture if you pick your own mushrooms. The ones fomr the store...is a different story.

kanaboke said...

ooooh those look sooooo yummy! glad you girls are having a blast out there in Germany! It's been fun to hear about all the things you are doing and also see pics to go with them!