Sunday, September 28, 2008

Watermelon

So, I've been dying to try our watermelons. I've been waiting patiently for them to ripen. Then it occurred to me, how do you know when it's time to harvest? Once again, I turned to my friend google. I read through about a hundred different sites, all full of advice on how to know when your watermelons are ripe. Thumping, thudding, feeling, checking color... You name it. The one thing I read consistently was to pay attention to the tendril coming directly from the site on the vine where the watermelon is attached. Once that tendril dries up, so everyone seemed to agree, the watermelon is ripe. I've been checking my watermelons daily, and on Thursday I noticed that the tendril on one of them was drying up! Imagine my excitement! I decided to wait a couple more days, and today curiosity got the best of me. I decided it was time to pick the melon. We ceremoniously cut it off the vine, then put it in the fridge to chill. Once it was thouroughly cooled, I decided to go ahead and cut it. And it was thisclose to being ripe... Maybe another week or so, and I'm sure it would have been perfect. Kaylee enjoyed it, anyway. You could already taste a hint of juicy sweetness, and oh, it would have been so good! Lesson learned. I think with the next one, we'll watch for the tendril to dry up, and then wait another week or so before harvesting. Seeing as I have a total of three watermelons to practice with (well, two now), I should be able to get at least one of them right, no? And, of course, I'm going to have to plant them again next summer, even though I wasn't going to. They're just turning out to be the perfecgt thing to have in the garden during hot TX summers, while nothing else will grow. :p

notice the dried up curly tendril in the bottom right corner




5 comments:

Canda said...

How exciting. I hope you get at least one good one. We have a few, but not sure they'll ripen in time. We planted those late. I think learning is half the battle with gardening.

Shannon said...

Congrats! Be careful leaving them on the vine too long, though. We did that 2 summers ago and we came out one morning to find that the melon had split open during the night and was no good to eat. Darn it! Good luck with the rest of yours!

Mimi said...

amazing! I love the pictures you took. I am very impressed with the crispness.

Baby Oven said...

Congratulations on the fruit! I am extremely impressed by your efforts at gardening. Before we moved I had only vetured into flowers but one day I might try food. Good luck with the watermelons, I am sure the remaing two will be delicious!

Sabrina said...

That is just so cool!!!!