Saturday, September 13, 2008

Waiting

Our city's website is requesting people not return until Monday, and to be prepared to spend a few days without power. So as of right now, it looks like that'll probably be when we head back (along with the million other people who evacuated, should be fun...). I'm anxious to know what the house looks like. At the same time, I don't want to know. It still feels so surreal, especially since we're so far away from it right now, and just are following the story on TV. Weird.

To answer Mimi's questions:
What did you pack in your car? Our kids, a couple of suitcases with clothes, a couple cases of water, a cooler with food, our car DVD player, some movies, diapers and wipes for the baby, pillows and small blankets, and a first aid kit
The hard drives? the external hard drive that has everything backed up on it, and the laptop
valuables? camcorder and camera, our fireproof portable safe with all of our important documents (birth certificates, ss cards, passports, etc.), house papers and insurance papers
How did your car look like? pretty much like we're going on a vacation

We did try to secure some stuff inside the house. I took some pictures off the walls and wrapped them up in plastic bags and put them up in the closet. We also moved a box with photo albums and the computer upstairs in a closet. We moved the furniture away from the windows. We'll see if any of that did any good. We certainly had to learn our lesson in hurricane preparedness quickly...

5 comments:

Jeannie said...

I am so glad that you all are okay. I hope that you go back to an'easy' cleanup.

I have cousins in Houston....

I think I prefer New England Snowstorms to the idea of Hurricanes.....

amormigato said...

Glad to know you guys are safe.

I think that your place is okay. I heard that our side didn't get much damage done. My bishop & a few other ward families found out their houses are okay (they are near yours) & none of them flooded.

It will be a few more days before we head back, but I'm praying that the electricity will be back on soon.

have a safe trip back!
jen

Mimi said...

thanks for the answer. I was mentally packing for whenever a hurricane makes it up to the most northern state of the U.S.

Mimi said...

will you cry if IKE destroyed your ├╝ber-cool clothes line?

Doreen said...

Mimi, my awesome clothesline is safe and sound in the garage. You can fold it up like an umbrella and take it out. :D I sincerely hope there will never be a hurricane big enough for you to have to evacuate. Since, you know, that would mean we'd be wiped off the map entirely. :p

Jen, I just heard this morning power has been restored at Clear Creek Meadows, and there are rumors of South Shore Harbor, as well. CCM isn't too far from us, so I'm hopeful.