Sunday, September 07, 2008

Someone put on the breaks, please!

Life's been moving at the speed of light lately, I swear. It all started over a week ago, when it looked like Gustav was going to come our way. Dave was in charge of calling people from our church to see what their plans were should Gustav make landfall around here. That took pretty much all of Saturday. I was trying to come up with some sort of plan for what we should do as a family. It was an almost surreal experience. I felt like I was in one of those dreams where you run and run and you're not moving. Know what I'm talking about? We realized that we are pretty well prepared, as far as food and such goes. We also had everything ready so we could pick up and evacuate should that be needed. The only thing we don't have is boards for the windows, but for now, we've decided not to worry about boarding up. We do, after all, have a hundred different types of insurance, so we should be covered... Anyway, Gustav ended up blowing past to the East of us, and actually made for some really nice weather here. Thank goodness. Lest you think life should settle down, though, now we're keeping an eye on Ike. Which is headed straight for us. We'll see what happens as it moves across Cuba. Yeah, things don't get boring around here. On with the rest of the week. I'm not exactly sure what happened with Monday through Wednesday, other than they went by in the blink of an eye. On Thursday, I signed the boys up for gymnastics here. They had a blast. The gym seems to be really nice, as are the instructors, so hopefully the money will be well spent. On Friday, we said good bye to my brother and his wife, who had been here visiting. There was also a pinewood derby at church that evening. Dave was in charge, and we didn't even have our own car to enter! People seemed to have a good time. I think my good time started when the party was over. :p Saturday was crazy busy with activities, as well. So we've made it to Sunday, and I keep feeling like I'm going to just lose it anytime now. I don't seem to be able to catch my breath. Something is always happening. I need a vacation... To end this post, some things that made me go "huh" this week.
  • To the person who is in charge of scouts, 6:50 p.m. Wednesday night is a bit late to call and let us know that Tyler's scout meeting is at 7 p.m. That night. We'll forgive you this once. :p
  • To the person going 45 mph in a 55 mph speed zone, please be courteous and use the right lane, so people can more easily pass you.
  • To the lawn care crew who came to mow our neighbor's yard this morning, 6:45 a.m. on a Sunday is just a bit early, don't you think?
That's all.

5 comments:

KarateMommy said...

I was wondering if you were going to put the boys in gymnastics! How exciting! I've heard they have great gymnastics programs in your state - awesome!

Canda said...

Here's hoping you can avoid Ike too. I have siblings in Lafayette that had to evacuate for Gustav. I surely don't envy you guys down there.

Cluff Bunch said...

Sounds like a busy week. Sometimes those are a welcome relief, but most often I sit down and think, where did this week go? You're still welcome to head our way if Ike maintains course. We'll have the beds ready!

Anonymous said...

It's a drive, but we'd love to have you guys if you have to evacuate. We even have real beds now. Hope things calm down for you.
Meri

Doreen said...

Meri, thanks. I wish you were a bit closer than a 14 hour drive, I think that's a bit further than we'd need to go. :p

Erin, thanks! They're starting some mandatory and some voluntary evacuations not too far away from us. I hope we won't have to leave, but who knows. Actually looks like you guys may get a lot of wind an rain yourselves!