Friday, September 26, 2008

Random Poll Friday

The economy. Are you worried? Sometimes, I can't decide whether to be seriously worried, or whether the media is just having a heyday with it. Do you think all the media coverage and hype over the last few months is making things worse (you know, putting ideas in people's heads, making them worried, in turn keeping them from spending money, etc. etc. etc.)? Do you think Bush is doing the right thing with this bailout idea, or is he just trying to leave his presidency on a "good note" if it works? I've only ever taken one economy class, and don't remember much from it. Maybe I'm not understanding the severity of the situation, but as far as I remember, recessions are a normal part of a free market, capitalist system. And after a recession, there generally follows a boom. Then, of course, I read about people's retirement savings in peril, and that does make me worried. Just trying to sort out my feelings on the subject, I guess. Comment away!

2 comments:

Cluff Bunch said...

I myself am so tired of the media for lots of reasons. They are ridiculous and necessary at the same time. I think its so silly when they say things like, "so and so arrives in Pakistan today for a top secret meeting..." so much for top secret!

I don't know all that much about economics but I do know that some of the best times in history (economically) followed recessions and slow-downs in the economy. So, maybe we're just going through a regular cycle.

I don't know what to think of this whole bailout situation. I mean, no one is going to bail me out if I make a bad decision financially. Why should the tax payers do it for these huge financial companies? Why are the CEOs getting huge compensation packages when they screwed up?

Then I hear "people" say that this is a good idea and bailouts are historically beneficial to the economy. Who knows!?

It seems to me like everything is totally political and I just want the elections to be over so we can move forward as a country without all the crap from the Obama and McCain campaigns.

One more comment, we cannot forget God as a nation. America was founded as "one nation under God". As a nation we have to pull it together, "... I would that ye should keep the commandments of God, that ye may prosper in the land according to the promises which the Lord made unto our fathers." We can pull out of this.

denedu said...

I have to totally agree with Erin on all accounts. I also wonder where this "bailout" money is coming from? Is it invisible magic money? I mean...come on. I thought we were already in debt, so where did we get all of this money to save the economy? At this point I am glad I don't have to worry about buying or selling a house. I guess we might get a good deal on one, but then you never know if it will be worth what you paid for it. That's the risk you take though when you invest in things, right?

Then with the whole politics...Oy! I still have yet to find anyone that I feel I could back 100%...that is since I've been old enough to vote. How sad is that? I guess we are just expected to settle for less than what we deserve. Where have all the politicians gone that would stand up for this country and all that it needs to get back on track? I am still confused as to why we have two parties that do nothing but fight and tear our country apart. Like Erin mentioned...America was founded as "one nation..." and I hope that we can start showing that we are. There are so many wonderful things about this country. I just hope that whoever does get elected will be able to raise to the occasion and help pull this country back to its feet.