Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Other Side of the Glass

This looks like an interesting movie. It's geared towards dads, and their role in childbirth. It's really eye-opening, I think, to watch and think about the way babies are treated after they are born. In most hospitals, parents have to put up a fight to delay routine newborn procedures. When I had Bryan, they did all the newborn assessment while I was holding him. With Tyler and Kaylee, the nurses snatched them pretty much as soon as the cord was cut. I think one of the most drastic differences between Elly's birth and the others' was the way the newborn was handled. Everything was very calm and peaceful after Elly came, she wasn't scrubbed down, nobody stuck a finger in her mouth, or poked her with a needle, or put goopy stuff in her eyes. I think when it comes to childbirth, we're often so focused on the birth itself, we forget about what happens after. What are the consequences of separation after birth? Of the rough way babies are often handled? Is it really necessary to suction every baby? Is it necessary to place them on little warming tables, and poke and prod? Would you want to be treated the way little newborn babies are treated, just minutes after birth?

2 comments:

Cluff Bunch said...

I need this film and information now for Daddy to watch! This is something that has always troubled him and he has pushed and pushed to have our babies not treated in this manner...to no avail. Shouldn't have watched it until after this delivery! ;)

Doreen said...

Sorry Erin, I keep forgetting I have pregnant readers. :p With Kaylee, we delayed cord cutting for a bit, but as soon as that connection was severed, the nurses grabbed her. I really don't understand it, everything they do can easily be done while mom is holding the baby. Even blow-by oxygen and such. I guess it's just not as convenient...