Saturday, September 27, 2008

Carbon Conscious Consumer

I stumbled across this website today. It lists some small and simple steps you can take to reduce your carbon footprint. It's worth the read! Here's a short list of things you can do.
  1. Eat locally - pay attention to where your groceries are coming from, go to the farmer's market, eat at locally owned restaurants - you get the idea :o)
  2. Downshift your driving - use public transportation if possible, carpool, consolidate trips
  3. Junk your junk mail - click here for some things you can do to reduce the amount of junk mail you receive, and recycle what you do get
  4. Break the bottled water habit - use a filter instead, and get a reusable bottle
  5. Beat the heat, wash in cold - most laundry gets clean just fine in cold water, and this can also save you quite a bit of money
  6. Bring your own bag - use some type of canvas bag when you go shopping (I have these cool little baskets I got in Germany, I can fit a lot more into them and actually don't have to take as many trips back and forth from the car when I bring the groceries in)
Some other things we do is use a clothesline for drying laundry outside, keep our a/c on 80 during the day and 78 at night (believe it or not, that's comfortable, just what we're used to!), use CFLs, recycle, and use environmentally friendly cleaners. What do yo do to reduce your carbon footprint? Do you care? :p

3 comments:

The Man said...

Eating at locally owned restaurants does not insure that anything is purchased locally or grown locally. Even restaurants that advertise that the support local farmers, or that they buy local, don’t always do so. More than you would think use it as a marketing ploy. They are just as concerned with the bottom line as the national chains if not more so, since they can’t afford to operate at a loss like bigger chains can. Also having been in my share of restaurant kitchens, larger chains are cleaner than your everyday local restaurant. That being said, I still go to local restaurants 9 out of 10 times that I go out to eat.

Sabrina said...

Yippee--your list sound a whole lot like mine!
You left off your cloth diapering--that really makes an impact! (We're still at about 60% cloth and that's fine with me!) Also, buy used things (reuse in general)--books, clothes, furniture. And "shopping" through other people's garbage--that's how I got my awesome wagon!
For some strange reason, I feel like using coupons helps the environment, too, but I'm kind of wonky in the head these days!

Doreen said...

LOL Sabrina, coupons? You're right, I forgot all about the cloth diapers. Go me, haha!

M, you're probably right about the restaurants. You do have to be careful. I was going to put "don't eat a lot of meat" on my list, but I figured I'd better be nice with the reunion coming up. ;o)