Thursday, August 21, 2008

It's still raining

I think we've gotten more rain over the last few days than from Dolly and Edouard combined. Which, you know, were all over the media and everything. Well, forget the flooding from Edouard. These past few days have been worse. My entire backyard is one giant puddle, pretty much. The grass in the front has gotten some kind of fungus on it from being so wet for so long, and is not looking too great. My garden is slowly drowning (despite the raised bed with lots of compost/humus in it and excellent drainage). The watermelon plants also look like they've caught some kind of bug (ha!), and I doubt any of the pretty little yellow flowers are going to turn into watermelons... The tomatoes look sad, too. Meh. So here's a question, if my garden is a giant puddle, that means the soil is completely saturated, right? Does that also mean the fire ants are drowning? Could there at least be one positive aspect to all of this? Probably not. More likely, we're going to find nice little ant hills once it starts to dry up a bit. I guess at least the mushrooms are liking this weather, they're popping up all over the place. :p

6 comments:

Jeni said...

Sorry, fire ants don't drown. I heard they float on top of the water. Fire ants and snakes are the things they tell you to look for when there is flooding. Lots of fun...

Doreen said...

Yeah, I heard about the snakes. Haven't spotted any. And no ants swimming in the puddles so far. I guess we'll see what happens, haha.

Hanna said...

Yeah, if you believe the ORkin commercials - ants can live in water for up to two weeks. Nasty little boogers. I hate spiders, but I will take spiders anyday over ants.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

The worst fire ant invasion I ever saw was at the temple just after tropical storm Allison. Mounds 8 inches high every ten square feet. Really. They crawled in my hiking boots.

Buy some AMDRO. Best product ever.

kanaboke said...

Bwahahahahahaha! I hope, for your sake, that those stinkin Fire Ants are DROWNING!! :)

Melissa said...

Yeah, gotta love fire ants! That's one thing about FL that I won't miss whenever we move!

We've also been extremely wet this summer and have had quite the mushroom crop. Trey helped me pull them all up today. lol I'm sure this tropical storm coming through will really help!