Thursday, August 14, 2008

Elective Induction

Something I have very mixed feelings about. On one hand, women should, of course, have a right to choose how to give birth. At the same time, what about the right of the baby? Is it ethical for doctors to perform elective inductions, especially when they're done well ahead of the due date? I personally don't believe so. Medical necessity is a different story, of course. But being tired of being pregnant? Not so much. As I was surfing the net a while ago, I ran across this article. I thought it was quite interesting.

Expectant Moms Should Wait Out Due Date For Deliveries, Experts Urge

I tend to think that with a normal pregnancy, babies come when they're ready to be born. It seems only logical that messing with that process could cause problems. It always surprises me that women go to such great lengths to have healthy pregnancies, and then they choose induction just because. They're done being pregnant, their mother father sister brother aunt and uncle are coming to town, or whatever the case may be. I'm sure there are some valid reasons for elective induction (deployment, maybe, or a move), but for the most part, I don't believe it to be a great idea.

7 comments:

Keith and Nicci said...

I agree with you:) Now watch me have to get induced! But I can guarantee that if I do it will be for health/medical reasons.

kyleandbeth said...

So while I see your point, I am one that would have loved to be induced. My babies come extremely fast and I lived a ways from the hospital. Now, I know you don't think giving birth at home is a bad experience, but I would have croaked if I had to do it. Luckily, I didn't give birth on the freeway somewhere but if I had, induction of that baby would have been far better for the health of my dr. :)!!

Science Teacher Mommy said...

In general, I agree. My midwife told me that the sacred "40 weeks" is an average that came from a study done in the 1940's which wasn't adjusted for age, birth order or ethnicity. An average first pregnancy for a white woman is more likely to be 41 weeks. Two of my three babies were a week + "overdue." The third (you know this story) was an induction because they had stopped my labor to turn him. For a variety of reasons, it was a very hard labor. I think he was fine, but between the anti-pitocin, the drugs they gave me to relax me to turn him, the pitocin, and then the a very bad epidural (yes, some are better than others), I was a basket case. And it took a while to get the drugs out of my system.

Doreen said...

Beth, history of precipitous labor can actually be considered a medical reason for induction (depends on who you talk to), so if you live far enough away from the hospital where that might be a concern, then it may be an option preferable to birthing somewhere along the road. :p

STM, thinking about your third birth still makes me cringe. :o(

denedu said...

I was induced with all three...and had great outcomes with each one. Jerdon was over 2 weeks late, and when it was Kai's due date it looked like the same was going to happen, but that he was going to be alot bigger...same for Adin. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that had great deliveries and luckily no horror stories.

Emily said...

I have to say induction was very tough on my body... I did it with my first baby because of pre-eclampsia. I was barely 37 weeks and we could wait no longer. The pitocin and magnesium sulfate were horrible. With my other 2, I was having contractions but never regular so they broke my water for me... both babies were literally born within 2 hours after that. So, are the considered "induced" births as well?

Shannon said...

I agree, though 3 of my 5 were induced. Erica was overdue-but only by a week so that's falls in the elective category. My next two I went into labor on my own. With child #3 I only had contractions for 1 hour and he was born 9 minutes after I got to the hospital. 4 and 5 were both induced because I was afraid of not making it the next time. I do agree that the longer inside, to a point, the better, but it really does need to be on a case by case basis. No statement will ever include everyone.