Thursday, July 24, 2008

Garden in July

Thought I'd post once a month to document progress. This month's is rather boring, since we just barely got the tomatoes in. I need to get some stakes for them. The watermelons seem to have survived the transplanting. There's also yet another seedling popping up in a corner, I'm going to leave that one alone and see what happens. I'm going to probably thin out the watermelons to just a couple of plants, since they will not doubt overtake the garden. I don't even know if they're going to turn out, since I have no clue what type of watermelon it is and how long they take from seed to maturity. We may be looking at the end of September or October, and it may get too cold for them to produce good fruit (if they ever even make it that far). I figured I'd give them a shot, though, since I can't really plant anything else until September/October, anyway... :p

Photobucket

Photobucket

3 comments:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

We had a tomato plant that was over six feet high when we moved in late July three years ago from Houston. (Don't worry about the late planting--you have a very L O N G growing season.) We hardly got a single piece of fruit. Bugs.

Mike & Niki said...

I'm so glad you found our blog. It has been awhile & it looks like you guys are doing great. Nice to hear from you.

Canda said...

I hope your garden does well. I am enjoying what has made it so far here. We planted some stuff late too that I'm hoping will make it in time.