Thursday, June 12, 2008

When they say things are bigger in Texas...

...they aren't kidding. Did you know they make special Texas sized pick-up trucks? No kidding. Just about everyone here seems to own one, too. Makes my little van seem teeny, seriously. There are also Texas sized wasps, or whatever they are. I thought the yellow jackets in UT were big. These things are freakin' huge! And then there are the roaches, of course. I had read about those things, but didn't think I was going to encounter one quite so soon. Last night I was walking out of the bathroom, and there went a roach, scurrying across the bedroom floor. Yes, it was Texas sized, alright. In true Doreen fashion, I let out a Texas sized scream and jumped up on the bathroom vanity. Ha! I yelled for Dave, who promptly came with a paper towel in hand. That's how he generally kills bugs, just kind of picks them up with the towel and squishes them. I informed him he may need something a little bigger than a paper towel to kill that sucker. Once he saw it, he agreed, and got one of his shoes and went to try and kill the bug. Which is when we found out roaches here are quite smart, and know how to 'play dead'. He whacked the thing, and it turned right over on its back, sticking its legs up in the air. When Dave went to pick it up, it turned right over and tried to make a run for it! I think it took a total of 3 or 4 more whacks to kill the thing. Yuck. I'm in no hurry to make another encounter anytime soon... Must call pest control... So yeah, the fun continues... :p

10 comments:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Hee. Hee. I remember AJ once crawled quickly across the floor giggling and I thought, "What is so funny?" He was trying to pick up a roach. No doub to eat it.

But it is the tiny that is more worrisome in Texas. Fire ants.

KarateMommy said...

Aaaaand, i just remembered why I never want to live in any of the southern states ever again.

Doreen said...

STM, yuck. And we've already discovered ants in our front yard. One of the first things I bought was fire ant killer stuff. Came in handy yesterday. :p

KM, go ahead, rub it in. :p You should still come visit. After all, you're the one who lived with Hobo spiders. ;o)

miranda said...

Ick! Trick for killing roaches: Step on the roach and wiggle your foot. You have to grind the suckers. You can't just whack them.

Anyway, good luck in Texas.

Lari said...

Roaches are really small monsters... And yes, everything is bigger in Texas... haha

Doreen said...

Miranda, thanks for the tip. The thought of wiggling and grinding makes me shiver. Ugh.

Larissa, you would know, hehe. :p

Cluff Bunch said...

Yep, deal with the bugs and watch out for those fire ants! Definetly invest in vinegar, baking powder, and some anti-itch cream...they'll all help treat the itch that will not stop and drives you insane at night! We've found something called over n' out that works great for killing the fire ants. You spread it all over the lawn like fertilizer. If you just treat the mounds they'll show up again in another week somewhere else! Nasty buggers! Sorry to hear about all of the upexpected expenses, but I'm glad you are getting settled!
One day one of the kids was playing up stairs and I could hear it downstairs. For a split second I thought "sounds like the Warrens are having fun". It's a nice change to have your own house, even if you do have great apartment neighbors!

denedu said...

When David and I were first married we lived in a duplex. When our neighbors moved out all of their bugs came to live with us...ewwwwwwwww...roaches!!! We had to bomb the place. That did the trick though...never saw one after that. Oh, and we tried stepping on them and whacking them. Those suckers live through practically every form of torture imagined except for the roach bombs we bought. We just made plans to be out of the house one day so we could set it off. Worked like a charm...and the bomb didn't stink up our place either. :)

Kelley said...

I HATE ROACHES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, we discovered a couple here in our apartment, and I must say that I was horrified! Those things are almost death-proof! Good luck with all that. Ugh!

tearese said...

I never want to live anywhere with cockroaches. Or where its hot all the time. Or humid. Darn, guess I'm not moving to Texas.