Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Happy Birthday!

Today is my first baby's 8th birthday. Happy birthday, Tyler! I can't believe I'm old enough to have an 8 year old. Where has the time gone??? Since Tyler's is the only birth I haven't yet written about, here it is. This is where it all began. :o)

My original due date with Tyler was 6/25. That was fine by me. Then, at the 20 week ultrasound, they told me that it showed his due date to be 6/15. I kind of didn't think that could be right, but what did I know? While the doctor never officially changed the date, I figured the ultrasound was infallible, so I expected Tyler to come closer to the 15th than the 25th. Well, the 15th came and went, and nothing was happening. I think I may have been a centimeter or so dilated, which was exciting, but no contractions or anything. And so we waited. And waited. And waited some more. For those of you who have had babies, I'm sure you can relate to the misery I felt. :p Finally, on the 24th, I noticed some contractions when I went to the bathroom at around 4 a.m. I went back to bed, and they kept coming. Not very strong, but definitely regular. I was planning on having an unmedicated birth, and knew I shouldn't go to the hospital too soon, so I just kind of waited around all morning. Around noon, we decided to go in and get checked. When we got there, the labor & delivery unit was packed. We ended up waiting in the waiting room for about an hour. By the time I finally got a room and got checked, I was only 2 cm. Very disappointing. They told me to go walk around for a while, and so I did. By the time we got back to the room, I was 3 cm, and was officially admitted. What that meant, in essence, was I was put in bed with the monitors strapped to my belly, and told to stay there. Knowing what I know now, mistake #1. So I stayed in bed, and we watched the monitors and listened to the heartbeat galloping away for a while. At some point, a nurse came in and put an oxygen mask on me, though I don't exactly remember why. It helped me stay relaxed with the contractions, so I didn't mind it much. By about 7 p.m., the (on-call) doctor came in and checked me. I had never seen her before, but she seemed nice enough. She declared me to be 5 cm dilated, and said it was time to break my water. Mistake #2, but I didn't know that then. When she did, all hell broke loose. I was in such excruciating pain, I was starting to black out. All I can remember was crying out that I was dying, and I seriously thought I was. I kind of felt myself coming in and out of consciousness, while everyone around me seemed to be in a panic. They got an anesthesiologist, who gave me a spinal block. The relief was instant, and he placed an epidural catheter for continuous medication (a spinal block only lasts about 2 hours). All of this took maybe five minutes, but it sure seemed like an eternity. Once things settled down, the doctor checked me again, and I had dilated to 8 cm. Which explains why I was in such severe pain. I had gone from a comfortable 5 cm to transition in probably one contraction. Not fun for anyone involved! After I got the spinal/epidural, I was really comfortable, and got chatty again. We waited for a couple more hours, and it was time for me to start pushing. I pushed with all my might, while, I'm sure, someone counted to 10. After about 10 minutes, I received an episiotomy, the doctor yanked on Tyler's head, and out he came. I don't recall Tyler being in any distress, so why I got cut and the doctor yanked on Tyler's head is beyond me. At the time, I figured that's just what birth was supposed to be like, and I was very relieved the ordeal of birthing a baby was over with. We oohed and aahed over Tyler while he was being checked over by the nurse and I was stitched up. After a while, I finally got to hold him, and we couldn't believe how incredibly cute and chubby he was. 8.5 pounds and 21 inches, with some dark brown hair and big blue eyes. We instantly fell in love, and I swore that if I ever had any more kids, I'd most certainly get an epidural the second I walked into the hospital. You can read the other kids' birth stories to see how that went. :D Once my epidural started wearing off (which seemed to take forever), I got to make the obligatory trip to the bathroom. Where I promptly began to pass out. The nurse had just used her smelling salts elsewhere, so Dave got to run around looking for another nurse with the ammonia (or whatever it is they use). I think I ended up sitting on the toilet, with the nurse propping me up, while Dave came back with the other nurse to bring me back to life. What an adventure! My recovery was a bit slow, I didn't feel like even getting out of bed for a couple of weeks, but overall, I healed fairly quickly. I did get to go to the ER about a week after Tyler was born, where I was diagnosed with a uterine infection and put on antibiotics. But other than that, not too much excitement. Tyler certainly was all worth it. :o)

Photobucket

5 comments:

kanaboke said...

Happy Birthday Tyler!! We sure miss ya! Also, I AM LOVING YOUR NEW COUCH...AND YOUR NEW WASHER...and I'm sure if I ever get the chance to come visit, I'd be lovin' your new "JuMangGus" House! :) P.S. I'll post a picture of the new and improved clothesline we got put up just last Friday! WooooHoooo!!

tearese said...

happy birthday! One ofmy friends I grew up with has a 10 year old. Makes you feel old!
Wow, sounds like that hospital did all the things they tell you to avoid. I hope I don't have to deal with any people like that in the future!

Cluff Bunch said...

Happy Birthday Tyler! I know what you mean about having an 8 year old. Easton's birthday is 5 months away and I can't believe we'll be planning a baptism (and a blessing too!). Time just flies. I think so many women really go into the whole birthing experience completely naive. My first experience was similar and thank goodness I figured out that wasn't how I wanted my subsequent birthing experiences to be. I guess there are two good things about this kind of experience...your sweet little baby and the growing desire to know more and more about your own body and birth. Anyway, that's how I feel. This is getting long! Where'd you get your playscape? We've been looking...

Doreen said...

Ardis, I'm jealous you got another clothesline. It's about time! You should totally come visit, we certainly have enough space! :p

Tearese, yeah, it was pretty awful, looking back and knowing what I know now... It's really that experience that eventually led me to home birth...

Erin, the swingset was already in the backyard. We're just giving it a new coat of paint. :o) And yeah, I was so naive with Tyler. We even took a hospital birthing class, but it apparently didn't teach us too much...

Amy said...

Happy Birthday Tyler! Oh my gosh, I didn't realize CHANGE would be so hard for Callan. He now knows that most of his friends from West Stadium have moved and now all the friends that he's made here are getting ready to move at the end of the summer and it's TOTALLY crushing him. I thought it was pretty funny, he knows where the Cluff's live and he found out where you guys moved and now he has informed me that when dad is done with school, TX is the place we should move to too! I haven't told Aaron that yet, because he's NOT a fan of that kind of heat!!