Wednesday, April 02, 2008

2 weeks!

I can't believe it's already been 2 weeks since Elly was born. Time flies... We had our 2 week check-up with Chris yesterday. We both checked out great. My bleeding has stopped, which has been great. I do have to say I was very careful not to over-do it this time around, though. With the others, my bleeding always lasted until 4-6 weeks, and I think it's because I did too much too soon and didn't give my body time to heal. This time around, I literally did nothing but take care of Elly for the first week, and even the second week I spent the majority of my days on the couch (having a laptop helped, hehe). I think it helped that Dave's schedule has been so flexible. He was able to take off the first couple of days after Elly's birth, and even when he went back to his little office on campus last week, he was able to go in late so he could make me breakfast, come home for lunch to get me some food warmed up and let me take a shower, and he helped out lots at home with cleaning, dishes, and laundry. We've also had lots of dinners brought to us, just about every night for the last couple of weeks. People have been so generous, it's been awesome! The dinners usually provided enough food to last us for lunch for a couple more days, too. Can I just say I'm so thankful for everyone's generosity? It's amazing how much easier life is when you don't have to worry about cooking. :p I really believe that having all this help enabled me to really get lots of rest, and let my body heal. I feel great! I'm still taking it easy, though I am slowly starting to get back into my daily routine.

Elly is doing great, as well. She weighed in at 8 lbs. 4 oz., so we know she's thriving on mommy's milk. :o) She is such a wonderful baby. She's still so calm and peaceful, and even lets her mom get lots of sleep at night! She usually wakes up around 7:30ish in the mornings, is awake for a couple of hours, then sleeps most of the day, with just a few short awake times (most of which she spends nursing, hehe). She then has a definite awake time in the late evenings, from about 9-11 p.m.. We're usually in bed shortly after 11, she nurses for a bit longer, and then sleeps until about 3:30 or 4 a.m., at which time she wakes up to nurse. Being that she's my fourth child, I've become really good at nursing in bed, so really all I do is latch her on, and we go back to sleep. I don't think I've ever felt so rested with a newborn. All my other kids had days and nights mixed up for the first few weeks, so we spent a lot of time bouncing them around the house at 2 a.m., trying to get them to sleep. It's been really nice not to have to go through that this time around - hope it stays that way! *fingers crossed*

Overall, the transition from 3 to 4 kids has been really easy so far. I'm so thankful we were blessed with such a sweet, quiet baby. It's certainly a stark contrast from when we had Kaylee, who was pretty high needs from the very beginning (and still has lots of energy and willpower, haha). I know life is going to get more busy as Elly gets older, but I'm enjoying the peace while it lasts. :o)

4 comments:

Leia said...

I think it's wonderful that you've really been able to sit back and enjoy those newborn days. Every woman's body should be so lucky! Great that people are helping you out so much - how do you get others to do your chores and cook for you and NOT just come over to 'hold the baby'??? I'll have to get your advice next time around!

I'm so pleased to hear that Elly is nursing well. I miss those days terribly. Enjoy your special bonding time with that little bundle. :)

Andrea said...

Do you think Elly's adjusting to day night quickly has anything to do with not being at the hospital? I know with my E the night staff nurses were just as likely to do newborn poking and prodding as day staff.

kanaboke said...

Yaaay for you!!! I'm so glad you are doing great and that Elly's been easy breezy for ya. Sounds like your other kids are being great for you too! Awesome!

Doreen said...

Leia, nobody actually ever really came over to visit. People just came and dropped off the food, chatted for a couple of minutes, and left. It was my husband who did all the chores. :p I think it really helped that we've lived here for almost 4 years now, so we know quite a few people. It was all friends either from the neighborhood or from church (or both) who came and brought meals. It was so awesome! As for the nursing, I'm really enjoying it. It's so fun to see a little baby grow just on mommy's milk. I'm sure you miss it, but let me say you're so my hero for everything you did for your little girl, pumping for so long! You rock! :o)

Andrea, it's possible that having Elly at home has helped with her sleeping. After all, at the hospital they have the lights on in the nursery, and they will wake the babies up every couple of hours to bring them to you to feed. If you happen to be positive for GBS, they'll wake the baby up to take their temp and blood pressure and whatnot all the time, too. So I guess that could be a reason why some babies don't sleep well at night at first. I know with Elly, I've never once woken her up to eat at night, and she's had a 4 hour stretch of sleep from the very beginning.. I don't turn on the light to feed her at night, either. I do have to say, though, that we're lucky in that she's one of the rare babies who doesn't need a diaper change at night. All my other kids pooped all day long and all night, so we had to change their diapers in the middle of the night. Elly doesn't ever poop at night, and only once or twice during the day, so maybe that helps? I don't know. She's just overall a lot more calm and peaceful than my other kids ever were, haha.

K, thanks! And that chicken you brought over was awesome! As was the apple cake. We'll try to bring over your pan sometime soon, lol. :p