Friday, June 15, 2007

The evils of alcohol...

So, my family consists of a lot of recreational drinkers. Not Dave and I, but my whole side of the family. My dad has a beer when he gets home from work, my mom has a glass of wine in the evenings, and there's always plenty to drink at family parties. Usually, people don't drink more than they should, and it's all good. But there's also been some tragedy that comes with frequent alcohol consumption. My dad's cousin turned into an alcoholic, abandoned his young family, and died from liver cirrhosis in his early forties. My grandma's younger sister (G) is an alcoholic, too. We suspect she has been having problems for a long time. It all went out of control when she retired a few years ago. She started pushing away all of her friends and family, cussed out her husband (A) on a regular basis, locked him out of their apartment, etc. etc. etc. Not pretty. A. and my grandma have been trying to talk to G. about her problem for a long time, but she's unwilling to admit anything is wrong with her. She refuses to get help. Now she's gotten really sick. She lost control of her bodily functions yesterday, couldn't get up on her own, couldn't really move at all. And she still insisted she didn't have any problems. She was supposed to go to the dr's today, but she got so sick last night that A. had to call 911. Now G. is at the hospital. Even still, she complains that she doesn't need to be there, that she doesn't drink alcohol, that there is no problem. Her liver is severely damaged, and of course the doctors can tell by her symptoms that it's years of alcohol abuse that are responsible for the problems she's having. But she just yells at everyone and insists everything is fine. She's severely jaundiced, her legs are swollen from water retention, she's not doing well. I doubt there's anything the doctors can do at this point. Yet she's in complete denial, and mad at A. for calling the ambulance and having her taken to the hospital. It's incredibly sad. G. and A. both had good jobs, and they were in a good place financially (not terribly rich, but comfortable enough). A. just retired, too, and they could have had such a wonderful life. They could have traveled, seen the world. They are only 62. Alcohol made that impossible. It ruined her life, and with that, it all but ruined his. I hope he can move on once she's gone (which I'm sure she will be sooner than later). I hope he can get past all the heartache and enjoy the rest of his life. It's really terrible what acohol can do to people. I believe that both my dad's cousin and G. had the "addiction gene". They were prone to becoming addicted, and they did. I think Heavenly Father knew what he was doing when he gave us the Word of Wisdom. Abstaining from alcohol altogether could save a lot of lives (on many levels).

1 comment:

scienceteachermommy said...

I have a family history of alcoholism too and this is from a family who has had the Word of Wisdom for generations. A few of my uncles drink, and I don't know how they even dare touch the stuff.