Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Powerstruggles, oh my...

My boys have always been pretty obedient kids. Sure, they throw tantrums sometimes, or pout, or are defiant. Nothing out of the ordinary. Kaylee is a different story. I've never been a big believer in parenting books, I think most of them are worthless. I'm more into instinctive parenting, I guess. Common sense? (yeah, I know, that could be scary) Now I'm seriously conisdering a trip to the library to see if I can find any good books that address power struggles. I really don't know how to handle them, I guess my instincts are failing me in this area. :p I know that Kaylee needs to be able to "win" every so often, she's just trying to find her boundaries, and learn what is and isn't acceptable behavior. With the boys it was pretty easy to show them what works in our family and what doesn't. Kaylee always bursts into a tantrum whenever I say no. I try to let her make her own decisions, and I try hard not to say NO all the time. There are certain things that just need a NO, though, and she's fighting those hard. I really don't want to get into this cycle where everything becomes a struggle. But somehow this one isn't coming easy to me. AAAHHHHHH!!!!!

1 comment:

Kermit~the~Frog said...

Ah, girls.

I have no good instincts for mothering, so I've got several books that I sort of combine to run the family.