Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Clotheslines

So I've been wondering about this lately, why don't more people use clotheslines??? They're really not that much more work. I was outside hanging up my laundry on our community clothesline a few weeks ago, when my new neighbor came up and offered me to use her dryer. I thought that was really nice of her. I explained to her that I do have a dryer, I just really like line drying my clothes. She looked at me like I was nuts. But really, drying your clothes on the line has so many benefits. The sun is a wonderful natural stain remover, seriously. Anything from babypoop to tomato sauce to grass stains, line dry in the sun and the stains usually just come right out! Yes, you should be careful with dark colors, but you can always just hang up those clothes inside out. And the clothes smell so nice and fresh, too. Nevermind all the energy you save by using a clothes line. You don't have to run your dryer, which uses lots of electricity (or gas), and you don't heat up your house, so your a/c doesn't have to work so hard. Line drying is much easier on the clothes, too. Ever wonder where all the lint comes from in your dryer? Yeah, it's your clothes slowly disintegrating... :p Now, I do realize that it's quite convenient to take your clothes out of the washer and stuff them right in the dryer. I can see that point. But it really doesn't take that long to go take the laundry out. 15 mintues, maybe??? And then when you're ready to bring the laundry in, you just fold and sort as you take it off the line. You still have to do that with clothes out of the dryer. Oh, and the other nice thing about line drying is that it gets you to do the laundry right in the morning. You just do your load, hang it up, and then go about your day until it's time to bring it in. You always get your laundry done that way, no piling up and seeing the mount of clothes at night, when you're tired, but you really should run a load. Okay, so I realize most people probably think "who cares? It's laundry." I guess I just think it's funny when people look at me like I live in the middle ages because I line dry my clothes. :p Hey, with ever-rising energy costs, here's a great way to cut your bill, at least during the summer months! :o)

5 comments:

Dawn said...

I've been tempted to put up a clothes line, but I'm not sure it's safe to do in my neighborhood (the kids go from yard to yard like they own the place!)

I grew up with a clothes line, and my mother still hangs stuff out a lot. I fond memories of crunchy jeans and towels. ;)

Doreen said...

LOL Dawn, some vinegar in the rinse water does a really good job at keeping the clothes non-crunchy. ;o) Our community clothes line is by the playground, so I was worried for a while about how that would work out. Amazingly, I've only ever had some dirty little handprints on my stuff twice, and we've lived here for two years. :o)

Leia said...

I have bad clothesline memories LOL! My grandparents still hang everything out when the weather permits, but they live on a farm...so even their nice clothes smelly like cows! ;) Plus, I hate that as I drive down a very busy road in our town, I can see grandma's granny-panties blowing in the wind...

My parents used a clothes line for jeans and sheets, but it was clear at the edge of our yard, and they always made ME walk all the way out to get the stuff, when none of it was mine. I did my own chores, so I always thought that wasn't fair...since all mom was doing was watching TV and eating Doritoes...

Good for you for saving energy, money and time though! :)

Doreen said...

Um, yeah, I DON'T line dry my underwear, lol. :p

mary said...

Love my Clothesline,
Dh always put me as a frilly gal, and when I wanted a clothesline he about died! Love it use it almost yr around. Nothing keeps kids out of your hair a bedding on the line in the spring. Ditto on vinegar, and I use arm and hammer too.