Monday, October 16, 2006

Breastmilk is awesome!

It's days like today that I'm glad I'm "still" breastfeeding. Kaylee woke up at 6 this morning, came in bed with me, and proceeded to throw up all over my bed just a few minutes later. She threw up a couple more times, and then settled down a bit. She nursed a few times throughout the morning, and took a nice long nap. She seemed much better in the afternoon, so when she asked for a string cheese, I thought why not. Well, she threw it all up. Shortly afterwards, she asked to nurse again, and has kept that down just fine. It's sad that she's sick, but at least I know she's staying hydrated and still getting some nutrition. Definitely eases my mind. Never mind the antibodies she's getting to help her immune system fight off whatever tummy bug she has. Yay for breastmilk! Oh, and her clogged tear duct has been acting up, too, so I've been putting breastmilk in her eye throughout the day (whenever she nurses I just squirt some in). Her eye has pretty much cleared up! It's not red anymore, and there's not a whole lot of goopy stuff in there anymore, either. It's amazing to me just how many benefits breastfeeding has. :o)

7 comments:

Melissa said...

That's awesome! I'm still puzzled when I hear about women that have no medical issues, but choose not to bf because of their own reasons. Not a bf Nazi or anything, but I just don't get it!

I'm glad you said that about the tear duct-the people that I have told about this have acted like I am the world's WEIRDEST person! Trey was born with a clogged tear duct and it was awful and goopy for a few weeks. The doctor said it may take up to a year to clear itself out. Well, I read about how you could put breastmilk in the duct and the antibodies would help clear the bacteria out. I thought it couldn't hurt and DH agreed that it made sense. His tear duct was clear the NEXT day and hasn't clogged up any more!

Doreen said...

That's awesome Melissa! Kaylee had clogged ducts in both eyes. One has finally cleared up, but the other one is quite stubborn. The dr suggested doing the surgery to open it up, but I'm hesitant. I guess I'm hoping since one cleared up, the other one will, too...

The life of mom said...

Hi Doreen, I do not think I have ever posted to your blog before, it is wendylibbysmom from BBC. I second the breastmilk for clogged tear ducts. It worked wonders for Libby too, cleared it up within a week.

Leia said...

When Dee had her ONLY ear infection ever (she was 8 months old) I dripped breastmilk into that ear a few times a day....gotta assume that's why she got better so quick! :)

People always think it's weird to do anything but nurse with bm.....DH wants me to cook with mine... :)

Doreen said...

Hi Wendy! :o)

Leia, cook? LOL Mmmmmhhhh, mashed potatoes with bm. Might not be so bad, lol. :p

Lori G. said...

Yup, plus now, since I bf the first, I feel like I have to bf the rest to give them all such a great start!

Don't laugh, but I had the most HORRIBLE acne on my face b/c of pregnancy/nursing, so I was putting it all over my face too! Not sure if it really did anything but it couldn't hurt!

Doreen said...

LOL Lori, couldn't hurt, I'm sure. There's a lady at my LLL group whose son is allergic to his car seat cover (the flame retardent on it). He developed really bad excema on his arms and legs. Nothing was working, so she finally decided to put breastmilk on it. Cleared it up within a few days. Amazing, huh?