Wednesday, September 13, 2006

And isn't it ironic, don't you think, a little too ironic...

Know the tune? It's been going through my head today. It seems that's how life has been for little Belen. She had a sleep study ealier this summer to see if she could maybe be decannulated (get her trach out). The study didn't go well, so no decannulation. Though it seems like the study's interpretation may be subjective, so my friend is waiting to get a second opinion on that. Then Belen had a swallow study on Monday, to see where the food was going that the speech therapist was putting in her mouth. It turned out that she actually really did swallow it all, no aspiration (breathing in the food). That was awesome news. Last night at 12:30 a.m., I get a call from my friend asking if I could come over and stay at her house with her kids so her and her husband could take Belen to the ER. She was having a really hard time breathing, laboring hard, and needing lots of oxygen supplementation (way more than usual). At 2:30 a.m., my friend's husband came back, saying that Belen has pneumonia and has to be put on heavy duty antibiotics. They were going to take her and my friend down to Primary Children's, to probably put in a PIC line for the antibiotics. I haven't heard any other news today, but they'll probably end up having to stay for at least a few days. Now to the ironic part of the whole story: it seems as though the pneumonia was caused by aspiration... I really hope not, as that could have all sorts of negative implications as far as any future hope for decannulation and oral feeding. By the time I got back into my own bed at 3:30 a.m., I got to thinking that all the trouble we've been having with Kaylee's frequent night wakings seemes so meaningless and silly in comparison to what my friend is going through. Nothing like a little perspective...

ETA: So my friend just called and said that Belen is doing much better. They're still not sure what exactly it was that caused her problems, but it sounds like instead of pneumonia, it may be pneumonitis. That's an inflammation of the lung that can happen when food is aspirated. It's usually sudden onset (which it seemed to be), and generally rapidly improves. So that would be good news. Still not sure that the aspiration would be, though... I guess it's wait and see for now.

1 comment:

Leia said...

That poor little girl! I cannot believe the trouble some kids have to go through in life. Make me so sad. And yes, perspective is good sometimes. I need more of it now and then.....