Tuesday, August 22, 2006

We made it through day two...

And it wasn't so bad. Talked to Dave on the phone a couple of times, and it sounds like his presentation went really well. It's so nice that it's not just over with, but he actually felt good about it. He's such a perfectionist, and tends to worry and stress out a lot. So it's nice when thinks work out for him. :o) The kids and I had a busy day, too. We went to the library this morning, which is always an adventure. Kaylee kept us busy chasing her around, she loves all the aisles she can run down and "hide". Yeah, it was fun. :p In the evening we had Tyler's back to school night. It was so-so. I've been playing around with the idea of homeschooling for a little over a year now, but so far Dave hasn't been too supportive. When we met Tyler's Kindergarten teacher last year, I knew it would be okay for him to go. I guess I was looking for the same kind of "confirmation" this time around, but I didn't quite get it. For some reason, I just didn't get the same "it's gonna be okay, he's gonna have fun and learn" feeling. Maybe it was because I had all three kids by myself, and felt stressed out. The first half hour of back to school night, everyone was all cramped in the cafeteria. It was hot and pretty loud, as the principal was talking about who knows what (yeah, I have a hard time paying attention when I feel annoyed with my surroundings). Bryan kept asking if we were done yet, and Kaylee kept trying to get off my back (I had her in the sling on my back, so as to avoid having to chase her all over the school). She usually enjoys being on my back, but since we were just standing in one place, she was getting a bit fussy. After half an hour, we finally got to go back to the classroom. Walking in, I immediately noticed how dark it was. No natural light. The only light was from those neon lights. I hate hate hate those. We have them in our apartment, too (thanks to student housing), and I try to avoid having them on at all costs. I hate the light they give off. Anyway, so that's all the lighting they have, and for some reason, I don't feel it's very conducive to learning. Looking around the classroom, it looked very organized. Lots of well used books, and a lot of boxes containing different math manipulatives. Usually, I'd love a classroom like that, but the set-up didn't appeal to me at all. The children sit in two rows, which I'm not used to seeing in a first grade classroom. All K and 1st grade classrooms I've been in had their kids arranged in groups, which I liked much better for the age. Anyway, long story short, I just really didn't feel comfortable there. I told Dave as much. We've now agreed to just take it a week at a time, and see how Tyler is doing. Come October parent teacher conferences, we'll talk about switching to homeschooling if we feel it would be the better option. So we'll see...

5 comments:

Dawn said...

I just wanted to tell you that I went through a similar thing... I loved Zach's kindergarten teacher. She was great, down to earth, friendly, etc. I was ok sending Zach off with her. Then first grade came. His teacher wasn't my favorite, but Zach really liked her. He did fine in her class, and was comfortable. She grew on me, but maybe not as much as the first teacher.

I think, looking back, maybe I was so comfortable with his kindergarten teacher that I kind of resented having to meet and learn a new teacher and her habits. Hmmm. That's a guilty admission. ;)

So, you might not love it, but Tyler might love it, right? I know how you feel though. And I agree--even in second grade, the kids were still clustered in groups of four, facing each other. Rows seem very structured at this point.

Doreen said...

Dawn, I think you're right, I was very comfortable with his K teacher. I think what made me really uncomfortable about going into the 1st grade classroom was the whole set-up. No daylight (the windows that were there were completely covered with blinds), tables in rows instead of groups, the decorations on the wall... I don't know, I just did not feel at ease there. I'll be picking up Tyler in 3 hours, so I guess we'll see how his first day went...

Leia said...

Sorry you're feeling uncomfortable. I don't look forward to having to send my kids off to school either...but maybe someday I'll be able to homeschool too. I hope everything works out in the best interest of your kids, whatever that may be. Hugs to you!

Melissa said...

Homeschooling is an idea I've toyed around with, too, especially considering I just left the teaching field! I agree with others and say take it a day at a time right now and see how things go. I'm surprised that a 1st grade classroom would be like that, though. I always loved lots of natural light, a bright and cheery environment, etc. But working with teachers, I know that a lot of them bring their personal learning styles to the classroom. I'm thinking of one 1st grade teacher who had rows, wouldn't let them move or talk all day, etc.-definitely not developmentally appropriate for 6 year olds. She was happy because she felt in control and organized, but most of the kids weren't. Kids need to be in groups, have the chance to talk, and just have fun while they're learning! I'm not sure if you would be uncomfortable doing it, but you also have the right as a parent to have your child switched to another classroom that might be more conductive to learning. Just a thought. Please keep us up with how things go!

Doreen said...

Melissa, thanks for your comments! I think we'll just wait and see. So far things have been going well. Tyler hasn't brought home very many worksheets, which is a good thing, lol. They also haven't gotten any homework yet, which is good. I'm not a believer in homework, so I'm glad they're starting slow. So far, so good. :o)