Thursday, July 13, 2006

We're back!

Okay, so we've been back for a week now... Life gets so crazy busy! Our flight home went well for the most part. The kids did awesome. They kept themselves entertained, and slept through the whole second leg of our flight. Very nice. The only "problem" we had was annoying JFK. I swear I will never fly through JFK again if I can help it... It was awful, the people there totally incompetent. We actually got through immigration just fine, but customs was a different story. I had to gate check my stroller, because apparently you can't just pick it up at the airplane at JFK. That totally annoyed me, as with three kids, I really kind of needed my stroller. So, I was told it was going to come out with the rest of my checked luggage. After going through immigration, we went on to the baggage claim to wait. Just to be sure, I asked a lady at the information desk there where my stroller would be coming out (it sometimes goes to oversized). She assured me that it would be coming out at the regular baggage claim. So we wait, and our suitcase and bags get there fairly quickly. But no stroller. We wait and wait and wait some more, and still no stroller. What reassured me was other people with little kids still waiting for their stroller. After what seemed like forever, we asked one of the guys working there for the strollers. He went to check, and told us they were coming. Sure enough, after another wait the strollers started coming out. Everyone's but mine... I asked again, and was told that I would need to claim it as lost once I got to SLC. Nice... By this time, I had spent a little over an hour waiting. So I put Kaylee in her sling, and picked up my luggage the best I could to continue on to customs. On my way there, I happened to walk by oversized luggage, and wouldn't you know it, there was my stroller. Just a few feet away (around the corner) the whole time, while everyone assured me that it was going to go to regular baggage claim. Yeah, I was mad. Customs was awful, they had like 2 people working for 500 people having to go through. So we stood in line forever. Halfway through, Bryan needed to go pee. So we got out of line to go look for the bathrooms, which were all the way on the other side of the baggage claim area. When we came back, we got back in line. After an eternity waiting, we got through customs and went to re-check our luggage (more lines). Someone finally felt sorry for me with my three kids and 5 bags and let me cut in front. Now, if you thought finally, no more lines, think again. Here comes the security check. Which took another half hour. Then I found out our departure gate had changed, and I ended up having to walk forever to find the new gate. I got there just as they were boarding us. So I had initially started out with a 3 hour layover. It usually takes about 45 minutes to one hour to get through immigration and customs, so I thought we had plenty of time to go find our gate and get something to eat. So NOT the case... I ended up being grateful for the 3 hour layover. Any less than that, and we may just have missed our connecting flight... Needless to say, I was glad when we were finally in our seats and on our way home. Everything went really smoothly in SLC. For one, we knew to go to oversized to claim our stroller, and our other bags got there really quickly, too. I'm just glad I won't have to make another trip like this for a while... :p
Being home has been good. The kids are glad to be back home with their friends, and I've enjoyed visiting with my friends. The boys are taking swimming lessons this week and next, which they love. We're looking forward to a family vacation with Dave's family in 1.5 weeks, which thankfully is only about a 2.5 hour drive away. Yeah, we're really happy about that. :p Everyone's pretty much over jet lag, too, except Kaylee, but she's getting better. At least now when she wakes up between midnight and 1 a.m., she goes right back to sleep rather than wanting to play. ;o) And daddy is everyone's favorite these days. :o)

4 comments:

Leia said...

OMGosh I can't believe you had to do that all by yourself!!! I hardly managed with 1 child!!! (Of course my DH counts as a todder too you know) ;) I'm glad you're back safe and sound, even if it took a while! ;) I hate customs too, what a pain! Hope to see some more photos soon! :)

Dawn said...

Wow, you are a brave (and maybe a little crazy)mama going through all that with three kids. I can imagine traveling alone with my kids... I'm sure I'd lose at least one, or have airport security pick me up for yelling like a loon trying to keep them from running off!

Glad you're back and settling in though! :)

Melissa said...

You're my hero, too! I can't imagine doing that with 3 kids! Thank goodness for your sling!

Doreen said...

Oh, the sling was a lifesaver! I don't know what I would have done without it, I just may have ended up back home filing a claim for a lost child... Okay, that's almost not even funny... :p