Monday, May 08, 2006

Probiotics are awesome!

So, pretty much ever since we've started Kaylee on solids, she's been having problems with recurring yeast diaper rashes. Occasionally, they would get so bad they were oozing, and she'd get little scabs on her bum. I tried linking it to food sensitivites, but couldn't pinpoint any specific foods this may have been related to. Over the past month, it's gotten to the point where she pretty much just had a constant rash on her bum. She had at least 4 or 5 poopy diapers every day, and they were kind of watery, almost like diarrhea. A week ago, I decided to start her on a FOS/acidophilus supplement. And wow, it's done wonders! Her rash has pretty much cleared up, she only poops once or twice a day now (which is normal). She no longer has watery/diarrhea like poops, either. They are more normal now. Yay! A couple of days ago, I was telling my friend about this, and she asked whether Kaylee had ever been on an antibiotic. Well, she hasn't, but I was on antibiotics when I was in labor with her. So now I'm thinking it probably messed up her gut flora, and that's why she had all these problems with her poops and yeast rashes. Probiotics work by restoring a healthy gut flora, and encouraging the good bacteria to grow (that help fight the yeast). Seems to have worked for Kaylee. :o)

4 comments:

Dawn said...

I need to look into probiotics and whether it's safe for Alex to take. He really needs help, especially after his course of antibiotics. Since he's allergic to dairy, I just wonder how it would work for him. I really don't know much about probiotics. Anywhere good you know of to read up on it?

Doreen said...

Dawn, probiotics don't have to come from dairy. You can buy a powedered supplement that you just mix in with his regular foods, and it's not dairy based. I googled probiotics, and found this website:

http://www.usprobiotics.org/basics/

HTH

Pamela said...

My poor britney not only got antibiotics while I was in labor but has been on antibiotics for most her life. I wish I knew then what I know now.

Doreen said...

Hi Pamela! How is she doing now?