Friday, May 19, 2006

Circumcision

Okay, so I'm trying to get my thoughts and feelings on this down. Dave and I just had a discussion on the topic last night. And a friend sent me an email regarding this topic this morning. Over the past 3 years, my views on routine infant circumcision (RIC) have changed dramatically. When our oldest son was born almost 6 years ago, I didn't think twice about having him circumcised. I did wonder for a little while about why RIC wasn't performed in Germany (where I'm from), but I figured people in the US must know what they're doing. And all my nephews were circumcised, so I just never questioned the practice. All was fine and dandy, and then Bryan came along. Like his brother, he was circ'ed when he was just a day old. After the surgery, the dr. came in and told me that his glans was unusually big, and she had had a hard time fitting the clamp. So his glans was bruised. Meaning half of it looked totally butchered. I felt so bad for the little guy. It took about two months to heal completely, and there were several times where it looked like it was getting infected. Red, inflamed, oozing. That experience led me to question RIC. Why were we doing this to our sons? What was the benefit of having it done? I soon came to the realization that there are no benefits to RIC. It's cosmetic surgery, that's all. It's cutting off a perfectly normal part of a little boy's body. A part, I might add, that has a purpose. That's not just a piece of skin. Quite honestly, I feel that agreeing to have my sons circ'ed was probably the worst mistake I've ever made. I don't dwell on it, as what's done is done, and there's nothing I can do to change it now. I will, however, be an advocate for any future sons we may have. I don't want them to be mutilated, for the sake of "tradition" or "cleanliness".
The Case Against Circumcision explains in more detail why I feel the way I do. :o)

4 comments:

Dawn said...

My first two boys were circ'd because of tradition. But Ben's never looked right, so we were on the fence about Josh. Marcel agreed not to, until his mother told him we should. He would have done it then, but I reminded him of the reasons we didn't want to, and that there was no reason to change that. So Josh came home intact, and it has been very easy, from the moment of birth on.

We never thought twice about Alex, we just knew it was nothing we needed to do. It was so nice to know that he was not going to have to go through the pain of it either. And we didn't have to do anything to keep it clean, or uninfected.

If I have another boy someday, I'd leave him alone too. The chances of complications from leaving it alone are much less than the complications from ever doing it.

But that's just my opinion. :)

Doreen said...

I obviously agree with you. ;o) I think the only thing that makes me feel a little better is knowing others have had similar experiences, and made similar decisions. Thank you for sharing, it means a lot to me. :o)

Leia said...

I agree with you both!! I never knew alot about circing until the bbs came along. Now I know far too much about the bad stuff to ever do that to my boys!!!

Don't focus on what you chose for your boys Doreen! You did what you thought was best for them. It was a learning experience, and probably a tough one. BUT you're a better Mommy for having learned what YOU truly believe...and now you don't let anyone get in your way!!! ;)

Alissa said...

with Miles, we had our appt scheduled and everything. and i just COULD NOT bring myself to do it. I bawled hysterically to Matt, and he relented. He said that my reasons and feelings for NOT doing it were so much more intense than his reasons for doing it, and that perhaps they were inspired. Who knows. But as soon as he said we didn't have to do it, I felt SO MUCH BETTER. A huge burden was lifted and I cried tears of joy. I guess I didn't realize that I felt that strongly.