Saturday, April 22, 2006

I was just browsing...

...through my blog, going back to when I first started writing. As I read through October, I noticed a post about Belen (my friend's daughter who nearly died). It was written after the surgery to put in her feeding tube and her trach. I had asked my friend about the prognosis for Belen, and at the time all they were hoping for was that she would be able to hold her head up by herself, and smile. This was 6 months ago. Miracles have happened in those past 6 months. For one, little Belen is still with us. I think many people (doctors) had doubts she'd ever make it through the winter. But she did, she's such a fighter. To read her prognosis back in October, and to see her now, it's just plain amazing to think about all that has happened. Belen can sit by herself now (though still a little wobbly, but so are all babies when they first start sitting). She not only smiles, but laughs. She responds to people, and loves being held and talked to. She loves to bounce, and is even starting to support some weight on her legs on her own. She has a cap on her trach a lot of the time now, and has a sleep study scheduled for June 1st. If all goes well, she'll get her trach out after that. Brain surgery is scheduled for May 1st. They are planning to remove the malformation (fistula) on her brain, and afterwards there won't be any more worries about brainbleeds. My friend is also hopeful that she may even get her feeding tube out by the end of the year. I still tear up sometimes, thinking back to that day in October when Belen stopped breathing. Seeing her little lifeless body being carried to the ambulance just broke my heart. It's something I don't think I'll ever forget. We didn't know whether she was going to live or die. Of course, things could still take a turn for the worse. Brain surgery is no walk in the park. And as long as she has the trach, she's still very susceptible to infections that could take her life. But there's hope, more than ever. And little Belen has proven to be a fighter. :o)

3 comments:

Beth said...

What wonderful news! It always seems harder when it affects the little ones. I hope everything continues to go well for Belen.

Beth

Leia said...

That is truly amazing! Made my heart skip a beat, just reading about her. I'm so glad she's doing well...what a fighter.

Oh, and what a unique name! Do you know anything about the meaning or origin?

Doreen said...

The name is Spanish for Bethlehem. :o) It really is amazing how well she's doing. One more week till surgery...

Beth, it's heartbreaking. My friend's first baby was stillborn. She's sure been through a lot...