Thursday, March 16, 2006

It's Kaylee's first birthday!

Image hosting by Photobucket

I can't believe a whole year has gone by already. Where has my little baby gone? She's grown up so much. It's amazing. Here's her birth story.

On Tuesday, March 15th, I started feeling regular contractions in the afternoon. They were pretty far apart, and not painful or anything. After just about 2 weeks of prodromal labor, I thought I was just having another episode of "false labor". But somehow things felt different. The contractions continued, and started getting closer. They were also beginning to feel just a little uncomfortable. So in the evening, I started thinking that maybe I was in "real" labor this time. By 10 p.m., contractions were 4-6 minutes apart, and feeling really crampy. Since I was positive for Group B Strep, I knew I would need antibiotics during labor, so I decided to call my midwife to see what she wanted me to do. She pretty much said I didn't sound like I was in active labor yet, but it was up to me to go to the hospital and get checked. I wanted to know where I was at, so we decided to head to the hospital around 10:30 p.m. I got hooked up to the monitor, and sure enough I had a regular contraction pattern. But I was only a little over 2cm dilated, so the nurse sent us walking for an hour. When we got back, she checked me again, and I was a little over 3cm dilated. Since I didn't want to get an epidural, my midwife suggested that we should just go home and get some rest. So by 1 a.m. Wednesday morning, we were back home and headed to bed. I managed to get about an hour of sleep. Then it just got too uncomfortable to lie in bed. I got out my birthing ball and sat on it, leaning on my bed for comfort. I also decided to listen to some of my hypnosis scripts to help me relax. Sitting that way, I got another hour and a half of semi-sleep. Around 3:30 a.m., I started feeling really restless. It now felt good to get up and walk around. The contractions were still 4-6 minutes apart, but were definitely getting more intense. I had to actively start relaxing and breathing through them. Leaning on the kitchen counter and swaying my hips felt really good. I finally decided to wake up Dave, and told him I thought it was time to head back to the hospital. So we had some breakfast, called our neighbor to come over to stay with the boys, and went back to Labor&Delivery. We got there around 4:30 a.m., and when the nurse checked me, I was just over 5cm dilated. We were there to stay. I was sitting on the bed and hooked up to the monitor for about half an hour, and the nurse put my IV in to start the antibiotics. Around 5 a.m., I was able to get out of bed. The nurse suggested we walk around for a while, but I requested a birthing ball instead. I spent the next two hours sitting on that birthing ball, with only the occasional bathroom break. During contractions, Dave put a hot bean bag on my lower back, which helped me relax immensly. I seriously felt like I could just sit there like that forever, I felt so comfortable. At 7 a.m., we got a new nurse, who we happened to know from Church. So we chatted with her for a while. During that time, my other midwife, Celeste, also came up to see how we were doing. She decided to check me, and I was now at 7cm. I couldn't believe I had gotten to 7cm and was still feeling so comfortable. I spent another hour and a half on the birthing ball, and Dave, Celeste and I had a good time talking and getting to know each other better. Contractions were getting a little more intense, but I was able to easily breathe and relax through them. At 8:45 a.m., Celeste decided to check me again, and I was still at 7cm. So off we went walking. We walked around for about 20 minutes, and I started to feel more pressure during contractions. I would lean on Dave and just tell myself to relax, while Celeste put counter pressure on my lower back. During our walk, we saw one of the OBs Celeste works with, and when she told him I was at 7cm and just going for a walk to help things move along, he looked at me and said I looked way too happy to be at 7cm. I was suprised myself at how good I was feeling. We got back to the room a little after 9 a.m., and I had progressed to 8cm. I sat on the bed until about 9:30 a.m., at which point I was still at 8cm and ready to get things over with. So Celeste suggested to break my water. I had wanted to hold off on that for as long as possible, due to a previous bad experience with having my water broken. But since I was at 8cm, and I trusted Celeste's opinion, I decided to let her go ahead and break my water. With the next contraction, I felt a lot more pressure. I had braced myself for feeling intense pain, but I never did. Just a lot of pressure. I had a couple more contractions, and I could really feel the baby moving down. Celeste told me to just follow my body's lead, and start pushing whenever I felt like it. At around 9:45 a.m., I felt a really intense contraction coming on, and had an overwhelming urge to push. Since I had had epidurals with my previous births, I was not at all prepared for just how intense this urge would be. I started pushing like a mad woman, and told Kaylee to come out already. I felt her head with my hand as she was crowning, then her shoulders came out, and I took her under her arms and pulled her out and put her on my tummy all by myself. Kaylee was born at 9:49 a.m., after what seemed like one giant long pushing contraction. It was an incredible, absolutely amazing experience. She just lay on my tummy for a minute, and she was really blue and wouldn't start breathing. So Celeste decided to cut the umbilical cord and hand Kaylee to the nurse so she could get some oxygen. That helped her perk right up, and she went ahead and peed and pooped right there in her little bassinett. I delivered the placenta just a few minutes after the birth, and also came to find out that I wouldn't need any stitches. Despite Kaylee's fast descent through the birth canal, I got away with no rips or tears. I soon got to hold Kaylee and start nursing her, and we were just absolutely in awe at how wonderfully the labor and birth had gone. It was everything I had imagined it to be, and even better. Kaylee weighed 7lbs. 15oz., and was 20 inches long, born on March 16, 2005 at 9:49 a.m.

1 comment:

Leia said...

That was such a beautiful story! I hope to be more in control with our next birth, even though it was natural with Delphina. That Hypnobirthing sounds fantastic! I love that you pulled her out on your own - that sounds magical!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KAYLEE!!!!!