Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Poor neglected blog...

So I've been busy watching Olympics this past week. :p Yep, it's been fun. I just love the stories of some of the athletes. Like the Chinese pair figure skaters where she fell down really hard, finished the program, and they came in 2nd. Awesome! And I don't feel bad at all that the almighty Bode Miller has yet to make it to the podium, haha. I'm so tired of all the fuss about him. So he skies drunk... Yeah, he's so cool... @@ Anyway, I've loved the Games so far, and can frequently be found on the edge of my seat cheering on the TV, hehe. :p I think I've gotten the boys hooked, too, they look forward to our "cuddle time" to watch Olympics every evening. Fun fun!
I also went to my friend's doctor's appointment on Monday (38 weeks). We went over her birth preferences, and I came out of it fairly annoyed. We talked about antibiotics for GBS, declining routine pitocin after the birth, and declining IV fluids. Instead of giving the pros and cons of each choice, the doctor proceeded to tell the blood and gore horror stories. @@ I wonder if he tells the moms asking for an epidural the second they get to the hospital some of the not-so-good stories about epidurals (like, if they only take on one side, or the lady whose blood pressure dropped dangerously low, or any of the other problems that could arise from getting an epi)? Most likely, he would just tell her to be sure to sign the consent form when pre-registering at the hospital. Anyway, this is supposed to be the natural childbirth FRIENDLY OB in town. And yeah, he's definitely better than most of the other choices we get here, but still. Wouldn't it be enough to just say "these are the things we'd have to watch for" or "here are some of the risks", rather than "I knew this woman who ended up with a blood transfusion" or "this baby had to be transferred to the Children's Hospital and died"??????? Ugh, frustrating to say the least...

1 comment:

Leia said...

I can feel you steaming all the way from Iowa! ;) How frustrating! Those doctors give us natural women a bad name! :( He needs to be smacked...