Tuesday, January 03, 2006

There's much truth to this

Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they're capable of being.

-Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe


I just read this in an email sent to me. I'm still thinking about it, but it really struck a cord with me. So many times, we only see the faults in people, and we treat them accordingly. It results in contention and hard feelings. What if we showed more love, more forgiveness? What if we were less judgemental? I know I often struggle with this. If I feel offended, I can carry a grudge for a long time. I'm not a big believer in New Year's Resolutions, but I think my next goal to work on is being less judgemental and more forgiving. Trying to better understand where people are coming from. Being more open to differences in opinion, rather than only seeing my own way. Being more loving. I think that many times, we get what we give. The infamous "Golden Rule" comes to mind. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." I know I talk to Tyler and Bryan about this all the time. But do I follow it myself? Do I treat people in a way that helps them become better? Do I treat people in a way that helps ME become a better person? I guess all I can do is keep trying...

3 comments:

Chalice said...

I love that idea----sure a good goal. . . one that I'll work on too. What a good thought.

Leia said...

Doreen I hope you don't mind, but I copied that quote for my outgoing e-mails. It is a beautiful quote with SO much meaning to me, and I can't believe I've never seen it before.

My parents treated me like a child for years, because they never believed I could do anything with my life. I feel that if only they had believed in me, I could have done so much with my life in my younger years...and I wouldn't be discovering it just now.

Doreen said...

Leia, I had never seen the quote before, either, and it really just got me thinking. I think it's a great quote to put on your fridge so you can remember to treat your kids that way, too (and your husband, lol). :o)