Friday, November 04, 2005

My friend's going to have her baby!

And I'm so excited for her! She's 41w1d today. We were sure she was going to have the baby Wednesday night, as she was contracting all day, and getting closer together, stronger and everything. But then the contrax stopped, and no baby. We were bummed. This afternoon, she was just getting ready to go to her NST when her water broke. They wanted her to go right to the hospital. I just talked to my friend's husband right before they left, and told him they should take their time dropping off the kids, then go out for dinner, and walk around to see if she can start into a good contraction pattern on her own. She's hoping for a natural childbirth, and I just know that they're gonna wanna push pitocin on her at the hospital if she's not already in good labor. @@ Pitocin and natural childbirth just don't really go together very well, as it makes contractions much stronger than natural contractions would be. Furthermore, it'll require her to have an IV, which she's wanting to avoid. And it'll require continuous monitoring, for which they'll likely make her stay in bed. Not the best place to be for someone not wanting pain medication. Really, the worst place... I just hope she's able to get some good contractions going on her own before checking in. I hope it all works out for her. Ahh, I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight... :p We pretty much spent all summer sitting outside in our lawn chairs, talking about pregnancy and birth, drawing up a birth preference plan, etc. etc. etc. I can't believe the day has finally arrived for her to have her baby, I think I'm probably just about as nervous and excited as she is.... :p

No comments: