Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Something's going on...

...and I'm just not sure what it is. My friend's little girl is going in for surgery tomorrow to put in the tracheostomy and the feeding tube. It starts at noon, and should last approximately 3 hours. The neurosurgeon said he may not do any brain surgery after all. I guess the baby hasn't really progressed much during the past two weeks, and they don't think she'll improve much even with surgery. I.E. the surgery wouldn't do any good, really. I'm not sure that makes sense to me. I thought all along the surgery on the brain was to make sure there wouldn't be any more bleeds? I don't know... They're not giving my friend much hope that the baby is ever going to be anything but a baby. Meaning they think so much of her brain was damaged that she'll probably need lifelong care, and won't ever do anything. So terribly sad. I refuse to give up hope for her, though. She's such a strong little girl.

Then there's a couple in our neighborhood who are expecting twins. She just got put on bedrest, she's 30 weeks now. So they're gonna need help, too. I'm just not sure what's happening here? Maybe my life has been too sheltered so far, but all of a sudden I have all these friends/family with medical issues. I sure hope November is going to be a better month. October has been pretty awful so far...

No comments: